Did You Live In Shiregreen?

My step father lived on Windmill Lane before he married my mam, Bill Ward usually called Iago. Also friends of my grandparents Les and Phyllis Webster I don't know if they living now. Couple of my friends lived on Windmill as well Ray Jackson and Peter Proctor, I think Ray still lives there but I don't know about Pete. There was also the Bonds, Mrs Bond used to go in the Hartley House club always used to say hello when I went in.

I now live in the house where the Bonds lived. They moved out about 3 years ago in to Abbey Grange nursing home.

Thanks Littleducs for Ron Thompson's name it's filled in the missing piece of my 60's time jigsaw, he officiated at my wedding in '68 because Philip Cawwood was on holiday, I also remember him as a very down to earth, practical man, someone you could talk to easily.

Hi whatalaugh 1-- I don't remember anyone by the name of Kingsley but that's not surprising as I lived on the odd Nos. side at No. 53

Ok thanks anyway, There was some one on here that said they lived at number 22 but i cant find them, if your there please reply.

I've found it, peterw what year did you live at 22 Deep Lane,some of my famiy lived there for about 30-40 years but moved a couple of yeras back as it was to big now all the kids have gone.

I remember Lorraine O'Connor who lived on that side of Deep Lane, around 1960, did you live near her?

"now live in the house where the Bonds lived. They moved out about 3 years ago in to Abbey Grange nursing home"

I lived in 456 from 1934 to 1949 (left to join RN with mate( Frank Heppenstall) who lived in 2nd house from the steps leading down to Patmore Rd,

Went through the blitz. (" We had the ladders and the stirrup pump) also had the deepest Anderson shelter with a pigeon hut on top.. I don't suppose the pigeons are still there !!!

Recently read a shocking report in one of the tabloids about areas in the UK which are most at risk from burglaries and theft and Sheffield district S5 which includes Shiregreen is only 8 from the top. I knew it was getting quite bad because my brother had several vans stolen from the parking lots at the bottom of Bellhouse Rd. and had his garden broken into for tools etc. He finished up erecting high fencing all round topped with barbed wire. During the 50's to 80's while we lived there as a family this would have been unheard of.

My dad was born in 1940 and lived at 59 Keppel Road and he lived next door to the postman who was murdered a few years ago.

I was at Gregg House Rd school, started in 1937. When the war came along we were split into groups, about 10, then we went to a house in Shirehall Rd. for lessons. The lessons were short and the arrangement did'nt last long. I remember the shops at Hartey Brook, there was a chemist's, we used to buy cinnamon sticks and tried to smoke them. We also bought Spanish liqourice , looked like a lump of coal, we used to break it into bits and suck them. There was a paper shop, they had a wooden block with holes in it. Inside the holes were strips of paper which we pushed out . If the strip had a lucky number you won a prize, sweets , I think.

My mother bought cough medicine from there made in the shop - it was called black magic, I can still smell that medicine and many modern expensive medicines still smell the same, we were always told if it did not taste nice it was good for you

My grandparents became the first tennants of 376 Windmill Lane in 1907.

I was born in 1935 and I spent a lot of time there staying with them.

I believe the Shiregreen / Wincobank estate was the first council estate built by Sheffield Council .They were very modern for their time, with indoor loos

,bathrooms, and gardens. There was also a great community spirit.

A group of the residents got together and formed the 'Wincobank Clarion Fellowship' . I inherited a lot of documents and photos relating to this fellowship group which I am in the proccess of having made into a web site, and am interested in trying to trace the descendants of anyone who lived on the estate in the hope of finding out more information.

Though the web site is not complete you can view it by entering the following in the address line (3rd line down at the top of your screen)

http://homepages.shu.ac.uk/~kfrost4.

A list of members of this fellowship and where they lived on the estate at the begining of the 1900's can also be found here,.

If any one has any connection to them please do contact me on private messages

My father and his older sisters, their partners and then my Mom all belonged to clarion ramblers, have quite a few photos. Names were Tingle, Toseland and the others slip my memory at the moment. Have to consult only living aunt for any more info, she was too young to ramble with them but knew their names.