Yellow Ribbon dogs - Have you heard about this idea?

Evei

http://www.yellowdoguk.co.uk/

I have come across this group on facebook and thought it is a nice idea. I'm not quite sure if it would ever take off and do have my own views that dog owners should be responsible enough not to let any off lead dog approach any onlead dog/s. They are normally on lead for a reason.

However after spending years working with a rescue dog that had major issues with other dogs I can see how it could maybe prevent some of the encounters I had. I would worry though that dogs that should be muzzled might not be as people would rely/ use the yellow marker as am excuse.

What is your thoughts on this? Do you think is is workable? The idea is that a bright yellow marker means the dog should not be approached.

If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth.If wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error JS Mill

I think it's a great idea, but only as long as everybody knows what it means and follows it.

Sadly that's where it falls down, because if so few people understand what putting your dog back on a lead when they approach with their dog, then how long will it take for them all to start understanding that the ribbon is a message too?

People should learn 'dog body language' and control their pets. We have German Shepherds and put them back on the lead for the simple reason they play quite rough. Quite a few stupid owners let their dogs come up and get aggressive to our dogs while they are on the lead. Its these daft owners that wouldn't take any notice of a yellow ribbon. You acknowledge this in your post so for this reason I don't see anything positive in the yello ribbon scheme. It might even encourage so idiots to try and bait the dog on the lead.

Most people wouldn't have a clue what it meant and a lot of people wouldn't care.

We had to walk our dog on her lead yesterday afternoon with two terriers trying to hump her front and rear. Had to stop and wait to avoid one of them following us onto the road. No wonder she doesn't like dogs approaching her when she's on her lead.

People should learn 'dog body language' and control their pets. We have German Shepherds and put them back on the lead for the simple reason they play quite rough. Quite a few stupid owners let their dogs come up and get aggressive to our dogs while they are on the lead. Its these daft owners that wouldn't take any notice of a yellow ribbon. You acknowledge this in your post so for this reason I don't see anything positive in the yello ribbon scheme. It might even encourage so idiots to try and bait the dog on the lead.

I agree. We have told people who have let their dogs run up to Skye in the past that she can be aggressive to other dogs (whilst her eyes are narrowing on their dog and her ears are forward and her tail is raised) and they say "oh it's alright he'll have to learn somehow" :loopy::(

Most people wouldn't have a clue what it meant and a lot of people wouldn't care.

We had to walk our dog on her lead yesterday afternoon with two terriers trying to hump her front and rear. Had to stop and wait to avoid one of them following us onto the road. No wonder she doesn't like dogs approaching her when she's on her lead.

I never forget when a very small dog decided to approach my dog. At the time he wore a muzzle as he was still in training around other dogs. It approached him head on, so he gave it a sniff (he classes small dogs like squirrels and rabbits, he has no interest in them in the slightest!) , it then jumped up onto his nose and starting humping his muzzle, the little thing was going ten to the dozen and D just stood there :shocked:

It had to be the most strangest thing I have ever seen. In the end D lifted his head up and I removed the humping midget off his nose and handed him back to his owner. :hihi: It certainly was a randy little thing!

If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth.If wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error JS Mill

I think other dog owners don't realise how much damage dogs can do even in a short scuffle, they just think theirs will get a telling off or something and no teeth will be involved. No thought of vets bills, causing their dog to become aggressive, causing your dog to become even more scared and aggressive.

My initial reaction was ..wow what a fab idea but after thinking about it and reading the respone I can see the pit falls. However if advertised properly it could possibly work in some areas.

I have 2 dogs. 1 off lead and 1 on as she is a cow bag so I can see both sides. I spend my walks worrying about off lead dogs running up to Moll and freaking her out and trying to stop Frank going up to on lead dogs, I do discourage it!! I must say most of the dogs on lead I have met are usually due to them running off or chasing things rather than them being difficult with other dogs.

if there were "yellow ribbon zones" which were clearly advertised that may work however I think it would all come down to funding and networking however I would add "don't underestimate the dog owner community" lol

the one thing I would bloody ban is extendable leads..they drive me batty!!! I would challange anyone can have full controll of their dog on one of those!