Nether Edge- Help!

our relatives would disagree, based on their own very personal experience of the terraced street area next to the broadfield and having death threats and windows smashed by gangs and being made to feel very unwelcome to the point they had to move.

Does that make it a no go area for every body, and an area for people not to live in, i don't think so.

that street is a problem area, thats the point i made, and was shot down by someone insinuating it didnt happen which is ridiculous.

no one said the rest of nether edge was poor, some of my family come from there it has some lovely areas. certain parts have unfortunately gone downhill and people need to be aware its mixed and not all sunshine and light.

the incident that happened to our family member with the threats and physical violence was absolutely disgraceful and if the boot had been on the other foot would have made headline news with a large gang intimidating people out of their home.

I've lived in Nether Edge for most of the past ten years and would be inclined to agree with the issues regarding areas on decline and youths. I'm a 30 (something) female and have been harassed (name called, lude remarks, snowballs...) on a few occasions over the past year. The lower part (nr Abbeydale Road) of Empire Rd seems to be particularly bad.

That all said, I love NE and wouldn't move. Its beautiful and (mostly) very safe and has some great pubs and shops. Caution is needed as with everywhere. Hillsborough is so much more glib and has it's own share of problems.

Hope that helps somewhat.

I've lived in Nether Edge for most of the past ten years and would be inclined to agree with the issues regarding areas on decline and youths. I'm a 30 (something) female and have been harassed (name called, lude remarks, snowballs...) on a few occasions over the past year. The lower part (nr Abbeydale Road) of Empire Rd seems to be particularly bad.

That all said, I love NE and wouldn't move. Its beautiful and (mostly) very safe and has some great pubs and shops. Caution is needed as with everywhere. Hillsborough is so much more glib and has it's own share of problems.

Hope that helps somewhat.

thats pretty much summed it up for me.

the gang involved in the incident i mentioned were not 12yr old kids and the violence was criminal in nature and extremely threatening and intimidatiing. for someone with no information to say it never happened is a joke. avoid that part of nether edge and you will be fine.

I like the mixture of style of houses in the area, but does anyone else feel that large parts of the area always seem very dark and almost dank cos of the large trees lining the streets. Don't get me wrong they're impressive, but always gives me the impression its struggling for sunlight.

Nether Edge is like any area of Sheffield, there are good parts and bad parts.

I personally, have lived here for the past year and a half in student accommodation. I love living here!! It's a very pretty place to live and you're within good distances of plenty of school, shops and general entertainment.

I will certainly be looking to live here once I've finished uni. Good luck with your move!

I live just down the road in Sharrow and really like Nether Edge & go jogging there all the time. Lots of lovely treelined streets and the shops and market are good. I believe the smaller terraced houses the other side of Abbeydale Road have a few problems but most of Nether Edge is preferable to Hillsborough for sure (I don't know Handsworth).

thats pretty much summed it up for me.

the gang involved in the incident i mentioned were not 12yr old kids and the violence was criminal in nature and extremely threatening and intimidatiing. for someone with no information to say it never happened is a joke. avoid that part of nether edge and you will be fine.

sounds like it was a targeted attack then doesnt it? i dont see "gangs" walking around putting random peoples windows through. sounds like your relatives were targeted, why? i dont know?

sounds like it was a targeted attack then doesnt it? i dont see "gangs" walking around putting random peoples windows through. sounds like your relatives were targeted, why? i dont know?

they were told specifically by the gang it was because they were white, and they were not welcome on the street. hence the community police being involved. the windows were all smashed on christmas day as they wouldnt come out and fight the gang of youths/blokes.

and before your mind works overtime, there had been no previous issues that deserved such "targetted" victimisation.

sorry if this upsets your ideal view of Nether edge, but its 100% factual, and the police were involved so its all logged.

We live in the grid in nether edge..(wake wath woodstock emily joshua empire) We like it a lot, and love the village, along with the convenience of

Abbeydale road. I just feel that some people don't care about how there houses look, making the area look a bit more grotty than dodgey! We have never had any problems.

---------- Post added 14-01-2013 at 15:05 ----------

Which road was this? Sounds terrible

you said earlier it didnt happen because you hadnt heard about it, and now because you dont see it yourself, it must have been targetted. the relatives lived on that street for 20+ yrs and had been subject to racial harrassment over the last few yrs, culminating in threats and actual violence from the locals. their comment is that the entire street has slowly but surely gone down the pan to the point that the attack meant they needed to move to be safe and happy. its not common, but it happend, and you need to accept it goes off down there.

they were told specifically by the gang it was because they were white, and they were not welcome on the street. hence the community police being involved. the windows were all smashed on christmas day as they wouldnt come out and fight the gang of youths/blokes.

and before your mind works overtime, there had been no previous issues that deserved such "targetted" victimisation.

sorry if this upsets your ideal view of Nether edge, but its 100% factual, and the police were involved so its all logged.

and what about all the other white people on the street? sorry but i dont believe this, everyone is entitled their own opinion. I live very close to broadfield pub and know a lot of people around the area and have lived here for 26 years and am yet to hear (apart from you) that a white family have been driven out of the area due to racial abuse.:loopy: this would not be acceptable, and youre saying the police were involved? so why werent these lads caught?

and what about all the other white people on the street? sorry but i dont believe this, everyone is entitled their own opinion. I live very close to broadfield pub and know a lot of people around the area and have lived here for 26 years and am yet to hear (apart from you) that a white family have been driven out of the area due to racial abuse.:loopy: this would not be acceptable, and youre saying the police were involved? so why werent these lads caught?

why do the wavy crazy smiley? are you saying we are lying and it didnt happen? does all nether edge news go through you?

if i could be arsed i would give you the name and address of the people involved, but its not really your business to know who they are. by all means contact the police and community police and pm me for the date it happened if you think i'd make something like that up just to rubbish one street at Nether edge. jesus.