Nether Edge- Help!

Hello,

I was wondering what peoples opinions were on Nether Edge?

I am looking for somewhere to live and I have found a flat in Nether Edge - I have been to the area and it looks really nice, but I wanted to make sure that there are not any hidden secrets about the area that I don't know about!

Being on a bus route is perfect and I like the big houses and it looks pretty affluent compared to a lot of areas of Sheffield, but is it a safe/friendly area?

Any opinions would be really appreciated. :)

I think you will be ok in Nether Edge. Call in at the bowls club sometime, opposite the post office. Decent ale, three good snooker tables...

thanks - what are the pubs like around nether edge as well?

Guest sibon

You'll be fine in Nether Edge, Andrew.

Like anywhere else, it has it's spots to avoid, but on the whole it is a nice place to live.

The pubs are good too, as long as you want somewhere for a pint and a chat, rather than a raucous night out.

I lived there for 10 years and loved it. I still pop back for a pint in the Union from time to time. The market is great too.

Edited by sibon

Netheredge is 1 of the nice areas in sheffield.

Netheredge is 1 of the nice areas in sheffield.

apart from nr the broadfield pub. a relative was driven out of their house by targetted racist attacks against them including smashing the front windows. and yes they were white people who had lived there 20+ yrs who were driven out.

Whereabouts in Netheredge? Some parts are upmarket and middleclass and the some parts that are near Abbeydale Road have a few problems.

I'm sure this incident was a one off. I have grown up in nether-edge, been around there for 30 years. The not so very nice bit is from the start to about the tesco extra, but after that is fine.

Whereabouts in Netheredge? Some parts are upmarket and middleclass and the some parts that are near Abbeydale Road have a few problems.

I was going to mention this. The area of terraced houses on the Abbeydale Road side of Moncrieffe Road has had a few issues recently (cars being broken into and a few incidents of gang activity around the Emily Road shooting) but the other side has a nice feel. Obviously there'll be a few problems but nothing you won't get anywhere else either.

it sounds like some of the area is a no go area.

thankfully the flat i am looking at is not too near to abbeydale road - i don't like the sound of these gangs though.

is the general consesus that nether edge is a nicer place than somewhere such as hillsborough or handsworth? (other options for me).

I live in the bit between Moncrieffe Road and Empire Road. It is really friendly, I feel completely safe and it is very quite. I would 100% recommend living in Nether Edge.

My best friend moved into Nether Edge a couple of years ago and it does seem to be quiet and calm there. The only issue they've had so far is that they live on a hill up by Brincliffe Edge and their car has been crashed into whilst parked out on the road during icy spells as the road doesn't seem to be gritted.