The changing face of Chapeltown

Not viable, I looked into a very similar pub not so long ago and worked out I would have to sell 20 pints of beer/lager per hour 7 days a week to just break even. So a pub now unless freehold will never really work.

Some of the free houses with good local beer at reasonable prices are doing a roaring trade. Selling many more than 20 pints an hour averaged over 7 days. Food can bring more people in too.

People don't want to go to a pubco owned estate pub that's had no renovation for 20 or 30 years, charges high prices for poor quality beer & has no other attractions. It can be cheaper to go to town, get good beer & a taxi home if you're having a few pints.

The Waggon looks a mess. The roof looks as if it could do with re-tiling. The stonework is filthy. It needs cleaning and sandblasting. What the inside is like is anyone's guess.

The scaffolding is back up again at The Waggon, fingers crossed it stops up longer than last time. Anyone heard anything else ie when its likely to open and if its still Wetherspoons ?

The scaffolding is back up again at The Waggon, fingers crossed it stops up longer than last time. Anyone heard anything else ie when its likely to open and if its still Wetherspoons ?

Apparently the discovery of asbestos led to a delay and a rejig of the redevelopment plans.

Noticed this evening as i drove past that there are now 'Wetherspoons Pubs' signs on the protective boards around the pub.

Cheers

Dave.

Going on the original post, its now doing really well

The Acorn and The Crown and Cushion both lovely pubs in chapeltown, there should be more like them, serve lovely food and family friendly... All pubs should be like this! let the louts go and drink in town with the rest of the unsightly folk.

Noticed this evening as i drove past that there are now 'Wetherspoons Pubs' signs on the protective boards around the pub.

Cheers

Dave.

Opening Date Tues October 8th. Lets hope it gives the other pubs a kick up the backside they need

Opening Date Tues October 8th. Lets hope it gives the other pubs a kick up the backside they need

So it will have took nearly a year to finally re.open.:roll:

So it will have took nearly a year to finally re.open.:roll:

Unforeseen circumstances did delay it rather though.....

Cheers

Dave.

You mean like the Coach? ....

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask! :o

Great news that Wetherspoons is opening another in the city. Don't take much notice of the opening date though, I've followed the development of several new 'spoons and they always overrun by months.