Private firms to take over probation work

More likely private companies would refuse to handle the worst repeat offenders - what company being paid by results (even if only partly) would want to take on someone they had almost no chance of making a profit from. These offenders would then get handled by the remnants of the probation service which would have to suffer unfair 'the private sector have more success at reforming people who commit crime X' type comparisons.

Exactly, why would these private companies want to take the difficult cases, when their profits are determined by their results.

Because they can make it cost effective because they don't have people striking every week.

When was the last time the probation service went on strike? I can't recall them striking every week or were you generalising on public sector employees?

I think it's time prisons were privatised.

I thought Labour already did.

Because they can make it cost effective because they don't have people striking every week do a proper job.

There you go mate, I've fixed it for you :)

Private companies and charitable bodies successfully bidding for contracts will be paid according to their results in cutting re-offending.

The old privatisation = results fairy story. Is that why we now have the most expensive railways in Europe? Never mind that the actual evidence on the ground contradicts the theory. Just keep repeating the mantra. Privatisation brings efficiency...Privatistation brings efficiency... Privatis... As if the more it is repeated, the more true it becomes.

Privatisation brings opportunities to make profits for a small but influential minority. That is what privatisation brings, and that is the primary motivation behind it being rolled out to take over ever greater areas of infrastructure, and government services.

Edited by donkey

I've had much better experience dealing with private companies than dealing with the public sector. The public sector simply doesn't care about the public.

I've had much better experience dealing with private companies than dealing with the public sector. The public sector simply doesn't care about the public.

Yes, just because G4S almost single handedly scuppered the olympics is no reason to go jumping to any conclusions. I hear they are much better at organising the beating of incacerated asylum seekers and evicting people from the West Bank to make way for illegal settlements. How comforting to know they are now submitting tenders to run public housing in the UK. Imagine how efficient It is going to be!

And then there is A4E. Such a caring company! Just because eight of their executives were arrested for fraud doesn't neccessarily mean they aren't doing a good job. For all we know, con artists might be very good at getting unemployed people into work. I love the private sector. It is just so soulful. Especially the companies with two capital letters and a 4 in the middle.

It’s the private sectors caring about money that means they have to care about their customers.

Will their customers on probation be recieving all expenses paid Caribbean Cruises?

I recall seeing something a couple of years ago that said there was quite a serious problem in the probation service with people on long term sick which was not really being addressed and was costing a fortune. Private firms rarely have many people off long term with "stress" so that will be one way to save some wasted money.

Will their customers on probation be recieving all expenses paid Caribbean Cruises?

They aren’t the customers, they are the commodity, the governmnet (the people) are the customers.

They aren’t the customers, they are the commodity, the governmnet (the people) are the customers.

So can we buy any?