Help needed: considering a career in teaching

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all well, and have had a good Christmas and New Year.

Im 25 and at abit of a crossroad, and im hoping just to sound a few ideas out, and get some opinions and hopefully invaluable advice.

Im considering doing a PGCE in either secondary or post 16 education. Subject wise, im thinking either PE, or if i do post 16 a nutrition/health/sport related area.

My undergrad degree is in Nutrition, Health and Lifestyles, and ive recently become a qualified personal trainer. But ive found it increasingly tough to get into the Nutrition/health and fitness industry.

I also hold qualifications in Youth Work, and have done sports coaching in schools (albeit primary/junior) for the last couple of years. I have worked at a couple of chilsrens summer camps, with the latest camp i was a lifestyle leader teaching class room bassed sessions at a childrens weight loss camp.

Do people think that i have another experience to gain a place on a PGCE course? I know PE is a competitive area apparently?

Also, im not sure whether to go into secondary or Post16 education?

If anyone has any advice or information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Scott

I'd say you're perfectly suited for a pgce - just be aware of this Government's educational policy which is being driven to the core subjects with some of the more "peripheral" subjects being sidelined. If you're willing to be flexible there are real shortages of teachers in maths/sciences and engineering and your degree probably covered a number of these areas. Given the shortages these areas are also more ripe for promotion.

I'm not sure if you're male or female but there is a push to get more male role models into schools (teaching) particularly in primaries.

I have read you website and I cannot understand how someone aged 20 remains at school as a rep for years 12 and 13 on the student council.You also state you are studying nutrient in one and nutrition in the other.You ask if you have another experience which makes no sense.When submitting an application these errors will reflect poorly on your chances.Spelling like chilsrens will not matter if you wish to teach PE.

Hi Elphi, thankyou for your reply, I appreciate the information. I've also heard that there is a shortage in maths, physics, and chemistry teachers too, but these are subjects that i dont really have an interest in and just managed to scrape C grades in GCSE's at school.

I'm male, but im leaning more towards secondary/post16 than Primary. I'm hopefulyl going to start applying next week, but im just trying to gather as much information/advice this week as possible. Thanks again for your reply, i appreciate it!

qnvqsos- Thanks for your reply. The website was a project for a friend of mine whilst he was at university, but now, he's married with two children, and has a demanding career, so he hasnt had time to update it. I'm not very technical minded and abit of a technophobe, but hes going to give me the codes so that i can update it, and change the spelling mistakes that are on there. But i agree it does look unprofessional, and this is something i am hoping to change soon. Thanks for the feedback

I have read you website and I cannot understand how someone aged 20 remains at school as a rep for years 12 and 13 on the student council.You also state you are studying nutrient in one and nutrition in the other.You ask if you have another experience which makes no sense.When submitting an application these errors will reflect poorly on your chances.Spelling like chilsrens will not matter if you wish to teach PE.

Spelling like chilsrens?

Spelling like chilsrens?

This was the spelling in the OP.

Very pedantic of you! Did you see what time my original post was? Any other advice regarding the actual teaching aspects? Or do you enjoy just being a trolling keyboard warrior hiding behind the security of a username?

Thankyou to those who have actually posted with the intention of helping me, and answering the original questions rather than being pedantic and not helpful.

Very pedantic of you! Did you see what time my original post was? Any other advice regarding the actual teaching aspects? Or do you enjoy just being a trolling keyboard warrior hiding behind the security of a username?

Thankyou to those who have actually posted with the intention of helping me, and answering the original questions rather than being pedantic and not helpful.

I am sorry to have offended you.I did offer good advice and the need to spell properly and exercise IT skills is fundamental to teaching otherwise your students will have no respect,and people scanning your application will reject it.A sense of humour and some reslience will help you progress in teaching.

it was how you went about it! you didnt offer any advice regarding the teaching process, or answer the original questions i asked. I posted at 1AM, with one spelling mistake and you seemed hell bent on mocking me on here! After a little look at your posting history it seems that you like to bait and troll other posters, looking for reactions and to take the mick, which i think is a bit sad really. I write articles for a website and for the Sheffield Steelers matchnight programmes, so i have a good history of writing, but feel free to critique my work if you like/ As for a sense of humour i've certainly got one, but i have no time for people who go out to mock others, especially with your history of posting on here! Its childish and pathetic. I'm guessing you meant resilience and not reslience as you put in your last line? ;-) see i do have a sense of humour!

Nail. Head. Hammer. Bosh!

I would look very carefully at the competition for PE teaching jobs. It is a saturated market in this part of the UK at the moment and I cannot see that changing in the short term. The post 16 market for this area is also extremely tough. I know someone who has been trying to get a job in post 16 teaching for the last 4 years. They have a masters and have had to get into it via taking mentoring jobs then building up the contracted teaching hours slowly.

The number of training places has been cut dramatically over the last few years. I think you may have missed the boat on this career choice. There are some excellent PE teachers but unfortunately no jobs for them!

This might give you a feel for how the job opportunities are at the moment:

http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/486213/6750907.aspx#6750907

and here

http://newteachers.tes.co.uk/news/closure-cards-hundreds-pgce-courses/46151

Edited by Evei

Hi Evei,

Thanks for your reply and the information, i appreciate it!

Unfortunately i think you are right with regards to missing the boat, also the £9000 tuition fees and limited bursarys are abit of a daunting prospect too! :-/

I'm also considering a PGCE in Biology with my undergrad degree. I will certainyl look at the links you sent me, thanks once again.

Scott