Toddler left in job center

So you can confirm Yosser didn't do one then.

But that his mental state due to a lack of work and low benefits was so adversely affected, that the poor man contemplated killing himself and his own children in a dream.

I will say whatever pleases you mi'old.

Wages falling in real terms.

Housing costs rising in real terms.

Education costs now introduced.

Transport costs rising in real terms.

How can we solve it?

By building affordable housing, and increasing wages in real terms...

all them things dont get fixed by building affordable housing, unless of course we get the q's outside jobcentres and put those people into building the affordable housing, that way we have people working and housing going up at the same time .....

or quite simply the main fact is we need to create more jobs and get more people in employment.

You said it was a woman earlier, before you edited your posts

Trying to get to grips with my smart telly and my wireless keyboard.

It keeps missing characters out and pasting stuff in i dont want

I think in total i needed to edit it 3 times.

The joys of modern technogoly in an old mans hands :(

Seem to be getting to grips with it now though.

I remember after my husband died, and my child was 8, the adviser at the Job Centre telling me how rules regarding single parents were changing once a child became aged 10 and that would mean they were no longer entitled to IS...........

Back then (5 years ago) she predicted that this would mean many more children were left alone whilst their parents were at work instead of them paying for childcare......:rolleyes:

Sadly I had to agree with her at the time and, now that age has dropped to school age I can see why it could happen :(

Luckily I found work and was able to claim tax credits to help with child care but the number of friends / colleagues who questioned why I still wanted childcare for my 11 year old........:confused:

If you cannot remain civil the thread will be closed and bans issued.

Luckily I found work and was able to claim tax credits to help with child care but the number of friends / colleagues who questioned why I still wanted childcare for my 11 year old........:confused:

I can understand why this would be a problem. But I wouldn't worry to much about leaving your children on their own at 11+.

Perhaps there are some relatives, elderly neighbours, or family friends nearby who can help out with childcare, at least keep an eye out?

I am from a single parent family, and we would occasionally be left on our own at a young age (school didn't always cover working hours - especially with shift work), and childcare couldn't always be found.

There is no law against it. But if the children get hurt, then it can be called 'neglect'.

I have read quite a few articles recently, where people, particularly working families with children have had problems due to the lack of childcare available.

A grandparent of mine was a teacher, and a good one. But he always said the first role of the schools was childcare, the second was education, and I think he is right. I think it was for this reason, he helped run after and before school chess and sports clubs. When he was teaching, there was always after and before school clubs, so the school basically offered childcare from 8am till 6pm. Rather than 9 while 4.

Perhaps our schools should be open longer and there should be investment in running school clubs.

It must surely be cheaper to invest in education and childcare at the same time for many, rather than subsidise childcare with tax credits.

The current situation begs for 100% employment among mothers, perhaps by them all becoming self employed child-carers and swapping kids!

I don't think it is rational to force mothers (or single male parents or one half of a couple) to work in the first place. But if women must work, then working single women (men and couples too) need access to good affordable childcare.

Surely it would make most sense to provide this in all schools. With the likes of sports clubs, chess clubs, homework clubs, horticultural societies etc.

Schools are for education, not child care. It is a parents responsibilty to care for their children, provide for them and raise them correctly. It is not the responsibility of the state!

Howcome when we had much less technological advancement, a man could work and bring up many children and keep a wife and a roof over all their heads?

Howcome a man earning an honest wage cannot afford to do that today (without state help)?

Because they're more interested in having computers, i-pads, big TVs and holidays rather than actually providing the basics for their families?

Because they're more interested in having computers, i-pads, big TVs and holidays rather than actually providing the basics for their families?

Nonsense. People I know living in rented accommodation haven't holidayed for years, only those on high wages, DLA, or tax credits have done so (and perhaps a few who have got into considerable debt - debt which will be a millstone round their necks for some considerable time). A large CRT TV can be got for FREE! A decent sized flat screen is but one weeks wages. Ipads are half a weeks wages.

Some people even buy these things on tick, or credit cards. Credit is everywhere, with high interest charges, and it soon ruins the people who take it on. An illusion of wealth.

I'll tell you why.

It's cause all their money goes on rent, and taxes.

30, 40, 50% of income on rent. 10% on the poll tax. A further 10% of income on travel costs.

Back in the day, rent was much lower, travel cost a hell of a lot less too. People would spend less than 20% on rent. Less than 30% most definitely. Food wasn't expensive. (And nor should it be, when but a fraction of the labour force is required to produce it in the first place).

Neither should housing be expensive.

Are you seriously trying to tell me, people spending 40 hours of labour on a TV that took just a few hours to make and ship, can't afford to buy the basics?

I'll tell you why they can't afford to buy the basics.

Because of obscenely high housing costs, where a house of but 1500 hours labour costs some 50 000 hours to buy. Or 20 hours a week of ones labour to rent.

That is why.

Big tv, pfffh. I bet you have a big tv and all, I bet you have more gadgets (cars and other vehicles included) than your younger relatives.

Tv and ipads mean that people can't afford to raise a family. :roll:

Pull the other one luv.

---------- Post added 09-01-2013 at 00:16 ----------

Schools are for education, not child care. It is a parents responsibilty to care for their children, provide for them and raise them correctly. It is not the responsibility of the state!

Perhaps we should just do rid of schools altogether. It is a parents responsibility to educate their children, provide them with education and educate them correctly. It is not the responsibility of the state.

-Schools are there for childcare. That is their primary function.

It allows the workers to work.

Sorry folks I saw exactly the same thing happen in the DHHS back in the1970's.

Sorry folks I saw exactly the same thing happen in the DHHS back in the1970's.

When did they last need grills to protect staff from customer?

Or is that just in certain localities?

---------- Post added 09-01-2013 at 01:49 ----------

Food was more expensive in the past than it is today.

Not much more. And prices are rising.

Peoples keeping chickens and other legal lifestock.

Few people also keeping other livestock and slaughtering themselves. It's a shame to think how much food goes in the bin and how many pigs it could feed. Worst comes to the worst, we could always use them to 'process' sewage as they do in Goa, but perhaps flog the meat on!