The TRUTH about Gleadless Valley

take no notice of rumours the valley as had it's fair share of bother but know more than any othe estate i've lived on the valley for over 50 years and not had any trouble the shops at newfield and john of gaunt pub but you go ahead and live in what was the nest estate in europe it was an award winner at one tim. theres not many places that as 5 pub 3 resturants, open fields and park land with woodland and one is an ancient woodland, a stream running through the middle if you like golf it as a golf course on the edge of the estate, theresx the old bishops house in meers brook park, or go th graves park the biggest park in sheffield great for kids it had a pets corner full of ducks and poultry horses pigs cows ,sheep that always seem to be lambing and many more

take no hnotice of what people say its ok

take no notice of rumours the valley as had it's fair share of bother but know more than any othe estate i've lived on the valley for over 50 years and not had any trouble the shops at newfield and john of gaunt pub but you go ahead and live in what was the nest estate in europe it was an award winner at one tim. theres not many places that as 5 pub 3 resturants, open fields and park land with woodland and one is an ancient woodland, a stream running through the middle if you like golf it as a golf course on the edge of the estate, theresx the old bishops house in meers brook park, or go th graves park the biggest park in sheffield great for kids it had a pets corner full of ducks and poultry horses pigs cows ,sheep that always seem to be lambing and many more

I would take the advice about securing tools. Plumbing tools are expensive.

There is a distinct lack of investment in the area especially on the ironsde road flats and the blackstock road tower houses Sheffield council are seem to be more worried about investing money in "melting pot areas" than areas that actually need investment. You only need to do googling to find out how much pitsmoor/burngreave has had spent on it in recent years compared to what gleadless valley has had spent on it.

The area around the gaunt is still shocking no matter what anyone tells you although things aren't too bad between horse and groom pub and the traffic lights at blackstock, also around the constable road area near the co-op isn't bad either

shops pubs and it`s own cash convertor!,

the old saying about the flatter the roof the rougher the pub still holds true.

Lock your tools up! I live in one of the "nicer" parts of the Valley and have lovely neighbours who all look out for each other. BUT I've seen for myself how rife car crime can be. Luckily I own a run down old thing which I deliberately keep in a state to deter the thieves from trying to break in.

Do go knock on the doors of potential neighbours and ask their advice. Also go visit the road at night on a few different occasions to see what it's like and whether you do truly fancy living there (that's what I did, and was reassured that my street is quiet and fairly safe at night).

As others have said, there are a few lovely bits and a few terrible ones. Also consider that you'll likely need to frequent the shops and other amenities in the area, so explore these too.

It's not the worst place in the world, but frankly I can't wait to move (Heeley or Meersbrook are my first choices).

I have lived in the Overend area for about 9 months now, and its been fine. Its very quiet and I like the views and the landscaping and greenery and the air seems a lot cleaner than other areas of the city - my asthma has improved.

Before this I lived in Greystones; so I have lived in a good area by which to compare it against. I think it depends on which part of the estate your house is located.

My thoughts are this; the terrace house that have sloping roofs and gardens are very well built, and are very good value for money - generally the houses are secure as the gardens are surrounded by hawthrorn hedges. I have been broken into in Greystones and my neighbours have been burgled for their car keys - it can happen any where.

The house I have has a coal store, which I store my gardening tools. I keep them inside the house. I don't draw any attention to myself and keep a low profile. I am female in my late fifties, I live on my own and have never felt threatened on the estate; to date anyway.

I have had a delivery from Tesco only last week. The delivery man told me, it was only one road, and one family in particular they were boycotting (the delivery driver actually lived on the estate)> He said the Star had blown it up out of all proprtion.

One final point. For the last few days I have been obliged to stay at a relatives in Parson's Cross - and I couldn't wait to get home back to the green of the valley and the views. Its was so depressing it wasn't true - the valley isn't perfect, but at the price you are paying for the houses, its good value.

My advice is to speak to PC Ian Stubbs who will know about the reality of crime and give you advice about security. He's on the Internet with SY Police. xxx

I am so grateful to everyone's feedback. The house I'm buying is on Spotswood Mount, just by the big Holy Cross church, at the top of the bank. I'm going there today with a ladder to inspect the roof. Your shares have been really helpful and have given me a balanced, objective viewpoint. Thank you. I hope to see you around and about in Gleadless Valley.:)

I am so grateful to everyone's feedback. The house I'm buying is on Spotswood Mount, just by the big Holy Cross church, at the top of the bank. I'm going there today with a ladder to inspect the roof. Your shares have been really helpful and have given me a balanced, objective viewpoint. Thank you. I hope to see you around and about in Gleadless Valley.

I don't think that parts too bad! My auntie lived round that bit on Leighton Road, moved from Firth Park due to problems, and she loved it. It looked pretty grim on her block, but she had no problems. Shes now moved from her maisonette into a house on Middlehay but wouldn't leave the area. Good luck :)

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I am so grateful to everyone's feedback. The house I'm buying is on Spotswood Mount, just by the big Holy Cross church, at the top of the bank. I'm going there today with a ladder to inspect the roof. Your shares have been really helpful and have given me a balanced, objective viewpoint. Thank you. I hope to see you around and about in Gleadless Valley.:)

Youre quite welcome as long as you dont dump your rubbish on the Maisonettes on the Close near by.

Best views in Sheffield - its not far from me. I am sure you will be fine. Good luck in your new house.

Youre quite welcome as long as you dont dump your rubbish on the Maisonettes on the Close near by.

seconded :)

I don't know much about that particular area, but my friend has lived in Gleadless for years and years and never had any problems.

There is good and bad in all areas, and it makes perfect sense to look after the tools and lock them up wherever you live.

Hope it goes well, and good luck in your new home.