Forum Mah Jong meet - important news

My eyes are not folling me, right ? It reads 'mah jong' doesn't it ? *gasps*

Btw, a daft Q but, you don't play for money, do you ?

It's a very complicated game. Most ppl I know that play are chinese, and they play with different rules and styles. I'd love to come if my commitments allow me to. ..^^.. ! Are your mah jong sets in the form of cards (like the game, 'Mhing') or are they those little plastic sets ?

I am interested in turning up, having played mah jong a few years back, where is this Dev Cat where you are meeting?

dave

Hi alchemist :wave:

You will be very welcome to join us next week, on Mon 30 and/or Tue 31 Jan, at the Devonshire Cat.

I'll add your name to my mah jong buddy list for news of future mah jong meets.

My thanks to Meaks for the helpful link. :thumbsup:

Red

My eyes are not folling me, right ? It reads 'mah jong' doesn't it ? *gasps*

Btw, a daft Q but, you don't play for money, do you ?

It's a very complicated game. Most ppl I know that play are chinese, and they play with different rules and styles. I'd love to come if my commitments allow me to. ..^^.. ! Are your mah jong sets in the form of cards (like the game, 'Mhing') or are they those little plastic sets ?

Hiya Bago -

Your eyes do not deceive you. The forum mah jong meets have now been running for a couple of weeks. Interest continues to grow.

To answer your questions....

: No, we don't play for money. (My bank balance wouldn't sustain my losses for a start!). We do score points though.

: We have a variety of tile sets between us, made of wood, plastic, and.....an antique wood and ivory set.

: It may seem a complicated game, but I have actually taught a group of 11yr old schoolkids how to play - and they quickly picked up the rules and method of play.

: All beginners are welcome to join us. No previous knowledge of the game, or experience of playing mah jong, is required.

So, let's hope your commitments don't prevent you from joining us at the Devonshire Cat, next Mon 30 and/or Tue 31 Jan, 7.30pm.

Red

A reminder that mah jong meets are being held tonight and tomorrow night (Mon 30 & Tue 31 Jan) at the Devonshire Cat, 7.30pm onwards.

New players are very welcome. No previous knowledge of the game is required. Free tuition.

If you can't make it tonight or tomorrow, but are interested in coming along to learn to play on a future date, please send me a PM, and I will add your name to the mah jong buddy list - which guarantees preferential notification!

Dear All

Nice night last night for Redrobbo, Spanna2005 and the noob Emma (who's forum name I've forgotten) who in the longstanding tradition of the Mah Jong forum produced devastating scores and put us all to shame.

Red and I will be in the Dev Cat on Tuesady, from half 7 with several Mah Jong sets to choose from. So hope people can make it, the more the merrier.

CHRIS

Well, turned up at the Dev, and found that there was only myself and Golden turkey to play Mah Jong.

Never mind, it wasn't a problem, as you can play Mah Jong with two players.

We had a very pleasant evening, of conversation and the game was excellent.

And I found out he lives not too far away from here, too, all in all, a very diverting night.

And I'll tell you what, I can see why the Chinese go a bundle on playing it, it's great fun.

Oh, and after me doing really well, leading almost all the way through, doing ever so well with high scores and doubles and what-have-you, GT pipped me at the post in the final round to win. Well done, GT!

PT

Out of interest, do you guys have the tiles faced down, when putting them back in the 'pile'? (I'm talking about the section that the wall 'protects').

:)

no, we place them face up when we discard them as we're quite nice like that :)

no, we place them face up when we discard them as we're quite nice like that :)

Makes life considerably nicer.

:D

Well, that's one card game done... How about a game of Poker in the Cat next, strip Poker with Sian and Medusa as the strippers... Lol.

Yeah I know, I'm naughty, feel free to tell me off Sian ;)

Just to mirror Plaintalker's comments about last night (it was about a 20 point margin of victory!!), it was exceptionally nice to play with someone who has picked up the rules quickly and plays well and tactically.

It was slightly dissapointing to find only myself and her there when quite a few people had said they were coming. I quite fully expect to get flamed for being 'arsey' but if you say you're coming, please come!

All in all I look forward to the next Mah Jong Forum meet, so I can get the Flower tiles out with Plaintalker, and she can whip my ass (oeer!) in the 're-match'.

CHRIS