Learn to read

Phonics

Draw and colouring

Help with speech

Eye and hand control

video call family who are miles away

Use the family computer.

Use the family computer.

It's a bit big to take in the car for watching movies and taking to the caravan with us. (Plus no electric in 1 of the vans).

Use the family computer.

What a stupid thing to say, what would be the difference ?

One question, do you have a child because you do seem very out of touch.

@Fake - I am an oap so perhaps could be forgiven for being out of touch. I asked this question because we have a tot in our family - she is 2 years old. It is useful to know all this because I am computer-savvy but her mum isn't. I take her to playgroup every week and there isn't so much as a battery-operated toy in the place, even though there are some older children that come along.

I just want her to be a happy, well-adjusted and sociable child. I do worry about exposing her to this technology too soon as I see computer use as an isolating pastime.

I understand what the OP is saying about the skills that children can learn by having access to tablets but I don't believe they are necessary to develop them. There are other, simpler methods of teaching children and encouraging learning. Hand eye coordination is mentioned - we begin to develop that before we are one year old. Who hasn't seen a crawling child develop their pincer grasp, pick up bits from the carpet and pop them straight into their mouth? Similarly, at eighteen months of age most tots can build a small tower of 3 to 4 wooden bricks. As for drawing, tablets cannot replace the smell, touch and feel of paper and other materials. When the child learns to draw with tools it also learns to manipulate them - there is a difference between using a paint brush, crayon, charcoal, pencil etc which they will not learn by doodling on a tablet. As for reading, it is well documented that boys lag behind girls in this area and most educationalists would agree that they would do much better if they are encouraged to read books. There is nothing better for promoting this than sitting the child down and reading to and with him or her, allowing them to follow the text and pictures. I would hazard a guess that we on here all learned these skills quite well without the use of a tablet. Also, I would imagine that the parents need to keep a close eye on their offspring to ensure that they are not just wasting time playing repetitive games and watching films etc. I appreciate that I sound old-fashioned but that's because I am.

However, based on what folk are saying about tablets for children maybe I will have to get saving!

Edited by ccit

Diazepam 5mg but only if you want them to calm down for a while.

Diazepam 5mg but only if you want them to calm down for a while.

This made my night.

@Fake - I am an oap so perhaps could be forgiven for being out of touch.

No problems, l will also be classed as an OAP in a few years.

I agree that there is no substitute for the real thing such as painting and reading books but this is not about using it as a substitute. Any sensible parent (and grandparent) will carry on doing the normal interactive things and also allow for newer technology to be used as well.

I'm trying to teach my grandson (4) how to write in letters of the same size and to do that it needs a pencil and lots of paper with lines drawn on them. He then has to keep within the lines and is something he cant do on a computer or tablet.

Just last night I spent half and hour reading him a bedtime story and pointing to the words as I spoke and he loved every minute of it.

Its a question of balance. :)