Best tablet for 5 year old?

You've really tried them all, my word you must have deep pockets.

Sent from my laptop!!

And empty ones, considering the resale value on a used Android tablet is pretty much nothing!

(Send from my Galaxy Note!)

Out of curiosity, do all five year olds have tablet computers these days? If so what do they do with them, assuming that they have not yet learned to read?

I do apologise if I am a tad naive (probably out of touch) but it astonishes me that anyone would even think of spending that kind of money on a very young child. Shouldn't they be playing with toys, books, each other and also learning to be imaginative and creative? 'Toys' like this just lock them into their own private, personal and passive world and do nothing to engage the child's interaction with other people and the world around them.

Edited by ccit

Out of curiosity, do all five year olds have tablet computers these days? If so what do they do with them, assuming that they have not yet learned to read?

I do apologise if I am a tad naive (probably out of touch) but it astonishes me that anyone would even think of spending that kind of money on a very young child. Shouldn't they be playing with toys, books, each other and also learning to be imaginative and creative? 'Toys' like this just lock them into their own private, personal and passive world and do nothing to engage the child's interaction with other people and the world around them.

I was thinking along the same lines as you but maybe the child cannot play normal outdoor games.

My idea of al tablet for a five year old would be on the lines of Etch-A-Scetch?

OMG - am I that old.......did I say that out loud........?

Our summer is spent in a touring caravan with no tv or electric and therefore gets lots of out door time, but equally a tablet is used for watching a movie.

Plus summer outside too!

Also having bought a leappad, which is a child's tablet, apps are £7.50 to £25 each, whereas a tablet a lot can be free or very little.

There is a lots of educational apps for kids.

I've added up the games and apps bought on his leappad, which comes to well over £400, which he is selling to fund his ipad.

He has plenty of imagination toys to play! It's not like the only toy he has would be his ipad / tablet.

Oh, thank you for explaining. As an OAP I thought I was out of touch, but clearly not too much as other members have voiced similar opinions.

I am sure you know your situation better than anyone but I still wonder if it is necessary or even useful. There is lots of research about the negative effects of too much television and the content these days is often appalling.

These sort of activities are isolating and lock the child into their own world which can't be good. My friend was telling me that at Christmas she hardly spoke to her grandchildren as they were all playing with their new 'toys' and yes, they were tablets! They never left the house either.

We have an iPad2 and it seems quite easily broken - could you trust a child with such an expensive item?

Those caravan holidays sound great for the little lad - are you sure he needs to pass time with a tablet? Surely there is lots to do and see to fire his imagination without resorting to one? You may find that he will get so addicted to it that he will be inclined to ignore other activities, then you may have a battle on your hands to get him out and moving.

Edited by ccit

Our world is all tech minded these days. Even fisher price has made a cover for the Ipad for as young as babies to use!

Santa brought my lad his tablet for Xmas and it wasn't opened out of the box till boxing day, when we find it broken in the box and have been refunded. Hence why i want a better one that Will stand to a child using it as clearly the Archos wasn't.

He uses my Ipad and has been doing for years, but having his own just means he isn't filling the

memory on mine with peppa pig and the likes.

Alot of children have got video consoles for Xmas which may cost the same amount of money. Previously mentioned that he had leappad which is so expensive to add to.

I also have insurance for accidental damage incase we need it.

I ask for opinions on which is the better tablet and ease of use. Not for opinions if my child should have one or not. There is only me and my husband that can decide that!

I nearly left his age out knowing id get this response, but the cheaper makes are so flimsy and not responsive that I knew the cheaper end of the market wouldn't be suitable.

I need to decide soon enough as he asks why Santa brought him a broken gift (3rd item faulty from Xmas day) and hasn't fixed it yet.

This is the very reason i refuse to buy my children tabs and the like although my son(6) got a little psp for christmas but he is only allowed on it for short periods of time that being said he puts it down before he needs to as i think it bores him abit lol he would rather play with his toys or build with lego and paint/draw etc, i prefer to sit and build lego with my son and to teach him and my daughters things rather than stick them in front of a game so they can be quiet, but that said it doesnt hurt to let a child explore tablets and gaming etc as technology is definatley the future so by not letting them at least have a go on these things we are actually holding them back for advancing with the rest of modern civilization, everyone is glued to a phone or tablet now which is quite a sorry sight, the days of working with your hands and creating things have definatley gone now :(

its all about facebook etc..........

I ask for opinions on which is the better tablet and ease of use. Not for opinions if my child should have one or not. There is only me and my husband that can decide that!

Yes, that is correct. My question was purely out of curiosity and meant in a generic sense, not at all meant as a criticism of you or your husband. Doubtless you know what is best for you and your little boy. Sometimes it is useful to be open-minded and to hear other views so that is why I asked. I am probably out of touch anyway and as has been previously remarked upon, technology seems to be all these days. Probably it will be some years before psychologists will be able to tell us with any certainty about the effects of early exposure to technology. Meanwhile, it may not be necessary to slavishly follow the trend just because it is 'the thing'. I also wonder if children using tablets can actually be classed as learning and understanding about technology when what many are doing is just playing games and chatting on FaceBook.

You did mention that you want a tablet for your son because he has commandeered yours. Looking at this in a different way, what is actually happening is that he is being rewarded for encroaching upon your space and property. If he continued to use it in a limited fashion, perhaps giving him 1GB with the proviso that if he goes above it he has to delete something he would learn about sharing and about maths if one sixteenth of the whole is explained to him. Just an alternative view and not meant as a criticism.

Hopefully your child will be happy with whatever product you decide to buy him.

Edited by ccit

Well i went for the Samsung afterall. It felt alot better buying a tablet at £200 and not £399 for the ipad! Thank you who ever mentioned John Lewis as thats where we bought from so have a 2 year warrenty and accidental is covered if needed.

So far he has video called his grandad who is not local and is now playing on google maps.

He wont be having a facebook account and things like allowing him say 1gb wont really help as some movies can be upto 4gb for 1 movie. These are ideal for the car journeys we have to make to my parents. This was another reason I went for the Samsung as now he has 48GB of memory on there!

Mentioning lego, he has downloaded the lego building instructions onto the tablet and he got alot of lego for Xmas too!

One question, do you have a child because you do seem very out of touch. ;)

I bought a Nabi 2 as a Christmas present for my grandson who is only 4 years old and he loves it. He can also read very well for his age and is capable of searching for his music, videos and books. He also has shown me how to delete and arrange icons. His tablet, as he calls it, gets used very well and the educational apps he loves. This does not replace the other activities and toys he plays with and he shares and takes turns with his friends doing puzzle games. He can also be imaginative and creative with it.

Having a touch screen makes it easier for a child although he can also use a PC with mouse. As this technology will be part of his future, the sooner he learns it the better.

Its not about trends but about doing what is right for your child and the best person to assess that is the parent.

I remember when I was at secondary school and we used Beeb micros (one per school!) and the TV adverts about getting a home computer to help with school work.

And now its the same - primaries are getting tablets to aid learning.