Murder of Alan Greaves/ trial

Alan's wife, Maureen, wrote and read her own eulogy:

"On Christmas day when I sat beside Alan's bruised and battered body, it was only natural that my thoughts would turn to the men who'd so cruelly and brutally attacked him. I was determind to turn aside from hatred and speaking evil against those who had killed him. I could do this only because God had given me permission to leave them in his hands."

The above words will stay with me forever,how strong,loving and wonderful this family is.

I am a friend of Alan's daughter Emma and i am blessed to know such amazing people,they are angels who already walk this earth.

RIP Alan and my thoughts are with his family at such a difficult time,i am sure the love you have for each other will keep you strong,God bless x

She is a remarkable lady with an absolutely rock solid faith. Don't think I could be that strong. God bless her.

Appearing at the city's crown court, Jonathan Bowling, 22, of Burngreave, Sheffield, admitted murder.

Excellent, the weight of evidence must have been enough for an admission.

Have either of the accused ever explained why they committed an act of senseless murder?

Nope, one still is denying it.

Hopefully the one that has pleaded guilty will turn witness against the other to secure a conviction.

I am sure that neither Alan, nor his incredibly gracious and courageous widow, were/are in favour of the death penalty.

However...A devout Christian and family man is on his way to church on Christmas Eve, of all days.....And is horribly killed.

As a result, we, the taxpayers, are going to pick up the bill for keeping them in relative comfort at HM's pleasure for - how long? - probably after I'm dead.

I just put this into the public domain....

I am sure that neither Alan, nor his incredibly gracious and courageous widow, were/are in favour of the death penalty.

However...A devout Christian and family man is on his way to church on Christmas Eve, of all days.....And is horribly killed.

As a result, we, the taxpayers, are going to pick up the bill for keeping them in relative comfort at HM's pleasure for - how long? - probably after I'm dead.

I know exactly what you mean, and it does make you think about the death penalty, but we don't have that option. I do think that senseless people such as these should have very few privileges in prison though, and far less 'rights'.

For some, life inside seems easier and better than a life of freedom outside.

Oh don't start that topic off again

Oh dear I'm so sorry if matters of life and death are so boring to you.:rant:

---------- Post added 07-06-2013 at 14:24 ----------

I know exactly what you mean, and it does make you think about the death penalty, but we don't have that option. I do think that senseless people such as these should have very few privileges in prison though, and far less 'rights'.

For some, life inside seems easier and better than a life of freedom outside.

Yeah, we've funded Myra Hindley through an OU degree, Rose West through cookery courses, and **** knows what else. Think this proves that they were sane, cunning and could play the system. Compare Ian Brady, who was self-evidently bonkers even before the Moors murders, and hasn't the capacity to do this. However, we're still bankrolling him.....

Edited by medusa
fixed tags

Being a devout Christian should have absoloutley no bearing on this in either a negative or positive predjudice. It makes the impact and circumstances of his death no more or less unpleasant.

Being a devout Christian should have absoloutley no bearing on this in either a negative or positive predjudice. It makes the impact and circumstances of his death no more or less unpleasant.

I respectfully disagree.

If Mr Greaves had stayed at home that evening, he wouldn't have been murdered.

But instead he went to Church, in order to give something back to his community on what should have been the most exciting part of his year, but, well... they say no good deed goes unpunished :(

BF I'm with you on that one hang; the git, plus I'd hang the others who killed little April Jones, Tia Sharpe & lots of other kids. We have to realise that while the debate and vote rests with MP's it will never come back. I firmly believe that if it was a referendum then people would want it back.

If not hanging some other form of death, injection, shooting or gas, child murder has increased alarmingly.

I think it should, for murder (child murder & such as Lee Rigby, premeditated), if you are prepared to take a life then you should be prepared to give up yours. I cannot afthom why tax payers have to keep the vermin, in the hope they'll get their comeuppance in jail, it won't happen very often.

I know there are for and against the DP I'm for it, have been since abolished the DP was suspended in 65 & law in 69, those old enough will remember that Brady & Hindley just escaped it. I'd have made a special dispensation for those two vile evil scum.

I never knew this but beheading as a method of killing for treason was only abolished in 1973.

Edited by Bypassblade

Yeah, I suppose I agree with this, in the sense that: suppose a ****-soaked tramp had been similarly murdered, at the same time, somewhere on the Wicker...it would not have received similar publicity. However, we are looking at someone who, motivated by Christian values, put a lot into his community. So I am standing by the reference...

---------- Post added 07-06-2013 at 15:09 ----------

[/b]

BF I'm with you on that one hang; the git, plus I'd hang the others who killed little April Jones, Tia Sharpe & lots of other kids. We have to realise that while the debate and vote rests with MP's it will never come back. I firmly believe that if it was a referendum then people would want it back.

If not hanging some other form of death, injection, shooting or gas, child murder has increased alarmingly.

I think it should, for murder (child murder & such as Lee Rigby, premeditated), if you are prepared to take a life then you should be prepared to give up yours. I cannot afthom why tax payers have to keep the vermin, in the hope they'll get their comeuppance in jail, it won't happen very often.

I know there are for and against the DP I'm for it, have been since abolished the DP was suspended in 65 & law in 69, those old enough will remember that Brady & Hindley just escaped it. I'd have made a special dispensation for those two vile evil scum.

I never knew this but beheading as a method of killing for treason was only abolished in 1973.

I never thought I would be applauding a Blade; but there you go - spot on, BP.