Don Valley Stadium to close?

Imagine if the council were to demolish it and then sell it to Ikea...

We could build a super prison.

I thought Meadowhall had first dibs on that?

massive shame saw the rocking stones here a few years ago why not get more gigs in like that surely it's a money maker that way

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Despite the fact that Don Valley Bowl is better suited for that kind of event? and has a larger capacity, while the Arena and City Hall can offer undercover arena space for slightly smaller (arena)and rather smaller (city hall) capacities?

Running gigs in stadiums in a bit of a logistical night mare and unless you have some kind of 'in the round' stage you loose 1/3to half the seating capacity for the stage /sightlines.

never mind the difficulties in the rig /de-rig due to tunnel access etc meaning you can;t just drive artics up to the edge of the stage and roll stuff in/on

Is this a case of the council cutting their (Labour) nose off, to spite the (Tory) face of government.

Given Seb Coe is a well known Conservative its probabaly Labours way of giving a two fingered gesture to him..Olympic and sporting legacy ? Not in Sheffield at the Don Valley stadium.

Or is it an inevitable result of a financial crisis caused by greedy bankers and the financial sector which led to a global financial crisis ? Usually Tory supporters

Council are getting a lot of stick from this, they deserve some, but you have to remember that they are being forced to slash their budget. The government's plan for an Olympic legacy has turned into a joke within months of the event ending.

I'm sure you'll all be glad to hear that events will likely be moving to the 'John Charles Centre for Sport' in.... you guessed it... Leeds. They've also got an arena now, so I wouldn't be surprised to see our one closing soon as well.

how come the council has the money to refurb the town hall,

Very good question, and it hasn't been explained well by the council. To put it simply, the council's budget is split in two. The revenue budget, which is spent on services, wages etc. and the Capital budget which is spent on buildings and repairs.

Because of government rules, much if not all of the money that comes in from the sale of capital assets (buildings) has to be spent on the capital budget.

The town hall refurb is funded from the capital budget, money which couldn't be used to keep Don Valley open.

The Old Town Hall is the building opposite the markets, used to be the courts?

Council are getting a lot of stick from this, they deserve some, but you have to remember that they are being forced to slash their budget. The government's plan for an Olympic legacy has turned into a joke within months of the event ending.

As are every other council in Britain. But do you see such drastic measures taken from them? I can't see any sports facilities in Manchester being closed.

Has the stadium and the council been pro-active enough in securing big events? Go to their website and it reads like nothing more than a run of the mill gym.

I probably don't understand the financial intricacies, but can any one explain why if the council had reserves of £60 million last year and has £167 million this year, why they can't use some of this to keep services ticking over until the financial situation improves?

Can I suggest the question mark to be removed from the thread title now this news has been confirmed?