Train sheds millhouses

my late father used to drive a delivery van for british rail midland station delivering around millhouses dore and over towards dronfield. when I was a kid in the early 50s I used to go with him in the school holidays. I remember we used to go to the loco sheds at lunch time for a brew and our dinner, one of the guys used to take me round looking at the locos. happy days

Happy days indeed, johnme - my uncle did a similar job in the 1950s, working from the Bridgehouses depot driving one of these..:)

H I Hillsboro

Your description of a visit to the Milhouses Loco Shed was spot on. Thanks for the memory, your post brought back some happy times although my visits were well before 1961.

May the ink never run out of your pen.

Happy Days! PopT

Well, here's an old trainspotter pointing out that Len was (almost) right for the post-war period he mentioned. The Millhouses shed code was 19B before the change from Midland Rgion to Eastern Region in 1958 when it became 41C - see here..:)

Thanks for that hillsbro,

Texas.

Happy days indeed, johnme - my uncle did a similar job in the 1950s, working from the Bridgehouses depot driving one of these..:)

I can remember the old scarrabs my mate used to drive one between the midland and Victoria stations transferring parcels. I used to go to brigehouses and the wicker goods yards with my dad

When I was younger we lived on Archer road and our back yard over looked the railway sheds,and I can remember the clattering noise from the yard there as late as about 1976 time.they must have still used the tracks there for a sort of marshalling yard many years after the repair sheds shut down,they also had a yard down little london road where they used to park carriages.

Edited by Shogun

...they also had a yard down little london road where they used to park carriages.
Yes, that was Heeley Carriage Sidings - here's a map showing Sheffield's railways as they were in the 1930s .

Yes, that was Heeley Carriage Sidings - here's a map showing Sheffield's railways as they were in the 1930s .

There was a wall down there on the corner of hardy pick across the road from laycocks engineering shop and it said in white paint graffiti "Mosley next time" it was on the wall for years and recently the wall was half knocked down, I went past it a few weeks ago and you can still see the bottom of the writing still there from all those years ago, I can still remember the wall as it was the wall we would climb on to see the trains and carriage yard there.

---------- Post added 01-08-2013 at 23:03 ----------

There was also a large yard on the bottom of woodseats road just over the bridge on the right as you were going up woodseats road, or on the lefthand side as you went over the bridge on Archer road, not sure about it but there were loads of railway tracks and sleepers dumped there when I was a lad it was a real adventure playground for us kids. you could get to it from under a bridge that was down little London and under woodseats road. its a small industrial estate now.

Edited by Shogun

My Granddad used to work at a train repair shed off archer road millhouses, I can just remember the crumbling old sheds as a lad apparently it was a massive place also used as a marshaling yard as well, he worked there for most of his life does anyone know anything about this fascinating place that is now where the tesco is.

Hi I remember leaving school in 1953 a very good friend of mine who left at the same time started as a engine cleaner and eventually became a Fireman he did a spell at Darnall Sheds and Millhouses as well it took him 18 years to get to Engine driver,in that time there was a Incident in which some engine cleaners and I think firemen got over the fence into Millhouses park and did some damage to the tennis courts and bowing greens it was front page news in the STAR so you can tell how close the shed was to the park.Myself I ended up being a Messenger boy at Brighhouses good yard at the bottom of Fitzalan St where we both lived

Hi,

I once had a ride in one of the B.R. Scarrab's (c1959).

I rode in all kinds of vehicles in my working life but this had to be the roughest. We only went from Bridgehouse yard up to Bernard Street in The Park, but that was more than enough. The suspension system (If it had one) left a lot to be desired. I have the deepest respect for anybody who had to ride them every day.

Regards

Edited by Falls

Hi,

I once had a ride in one of the B.R. Scarrab's (c1959).

I rode in all kinds of vehicles in my working life but this had to be the roughest. We only went from Bridgehouse yard up to Bernard Street in The Park, but that was more than enough. The suspension system (If it had one) left a lot to be desired. I have the deepest respect for anybody who had to ride them every day.

Regards

the radiator was at the back of the drivers seat so you can imagine a hot busy summers day phew. they could turn on a sixpence though. national carriers on Brightside lane had lots of them for internal work, they was like dodgem cars and had a piece of springed steel for a front bumper so if you hit anything it would bounce you back 10 feet. wheres my whiplash claim form:gag:

http://www.blurb.co.uk/b/3587630-40-years-of-sheffield-power-signal-box

Have a look at this book on Blurb written by myself and two colleagues. The first section of the book covers the line from Chesterfield into Sheffield Midland, you can preview the whole book without having to buy, lots of then and now pics.