Horse field/stableing how much

Does anyone know how much it would cost to rent a field for grazing a horse, or how much for stabling over the winter months. I am seriously considering trying to find the owner of the horse I wrote about the other week and trying to buy him, no one has been anywhere near and if it wasnt for the residents on the lane near the field who have changed his water barrel he would have only had dirty water. I think the guy buys and sells horses at market, this horse escaped the last batch as they couldnt catch him. I am just sounding this out as it may not be feasable and I know bog all about horses but if I can afford it/ can find the owner etc etc I will try. He deserves better than he is getting at the moment. Any help re the best way to go about this would be appreciatted.

you cant just take the pony hun it must belong to someone if its the field on primrose lane i think it belongs to hewitts

In the op post it says she wants to find the current owner and buy the horse, I don't think she intends to just take it

I have 3 horses that I keep on my own land, and it still isn't cheap to keep them. Renting a field/stable will cost you a minimum of £10 a week if you can find such a thing. More realistically you'd end up in DIY livery which would cost circa £15-£20 a week. Then you've got the cost of hay, straw, worming, farrier every 8 weeks ish, possibly additional food, vits and minerals, equipment etc etc.

My advice if you don't know anything about horses would be either call RSPCA or get someone knowledgeable to take a look first to assess the situation. Whereabouts is the horse did you say? If it's not too far from me and you can't get anyone else to take a look, I could come look see.

Cheers

Personally i think you stay well away from buying this horse. Its not just the cost if livery but feed, bedding, rugs etc let alone vet bills. You say you know bog all about horses. They arent the cheapest to look after and certainly take a lot of time. If this horse hant been able to be caught thats just the start of lots and lots of time and work and really not for someone who knows nothing about them. Ive currently got 3 horses all youngsters, had my fair share of troubled horses and wouldnt recommend touching this horse. If you want my advice stay clear of the rspca they are rubbish when it comes to horses (and pretty much most other animals) contact either Jayne Hemmingway of the BHS or speak to World Horse Welfare (used to be ILPH) they will help this horse.

Thank you for helpful replies, just to say I wasn't going to just take the horse, of course I wouldn't do that but would try and find the owner. RSPCA are not interested, and having spoken with other people his circumstances are probably adequate but there's a world of difference between adequate and suitable. It's probably a case of my heart ruling my head and the advice re the probable temperament of this horse is probably quite correct. I just felt I needed to explore options rather than just give up on him. Thank you for your advice and replies.

Its nive that you are concerned about this horses welfare but like you say if it has access to water and grass then the rspca etc wont be interested. I know its easy to say but hard to do; but if you and the neighbours stop providing fresh water and feed then the authorities might take an interest in it.

I inboxed you before, I don't know if you got it? I'll resend it.

I replied yesterday to the pm did you get it. x

---------- Post added 08-01-2013 at 16:48 ----------

Hen Hugger I tried to pm you but your mail box is full.

Contact the British Horse Society. They have a welfare officer per region. Jane Hemmingway (if i remember right shes based in barnsley but covers yorkshire) - they are volunteers with the BHS but Jane has been around for years. 07774142705 email [email protected]

Good luck