Buildings demolished

Perhaps SCC didn't want a smelly brewery smack in the middle of town anymore.

Mind you the smell from those flats across the road would probably overpower it anyway :hihi:

what about the Stones' brewery, just off shalesmoor? or the Whitbread brewery opposite the magistrates court, which is even more central than Wards' brewery?

I do wish I had seen the hole in the road :D

not technically a building?.....but they should have kept the hole in the road

http://www.nfa.dept.shef.ac.uk/images/jung-hole01.jpg

Really? Lets not forget what it started to become....

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/trendydave/Holeinroad5.jpg

I really see no place for it these days. In this day and age I suspect people would avoid it like the plague after dark and it would just become a breeding ground for the undesirables.

I really see no place for it these days. In this day and age I suspect people would avoid it like the plague after dark and it would just become a breeding ground for the undesirables.

look what it was allowed to become.

although subways are always places to avoid these days.

ECCOnoob

A picture paints a thousand words. The police, yes we had proper police in those days, though the beat bobbies were beginning to disappear, were averse to going down there because their then in use radios wouldn't work. A h&s risk assessment would prevent their 'successors' ie pcso's and city ambassadors,going anywhere near it. The'doss hole in the road' and its related subways was one of the most ill concieved plans ever thought up by Sheffield city council. Thank you for a touch of reality, I speak as someone who possibly prevented a smash and grab raid down there by shouting at them [from a safe distance].

Thanks WB

Edited by Wardsbitter
WORDS MISSED

ECCOnoob

A picture paints a thousand words. The police, yes we had proper police in those days, though the beat bobbies were beginning to disappear, were averse to going down there because their then in use radios wouldn't work. A h&s risk assessment would prevent their 'successors' ie pcso's and city ambassadors,going anywhere near it. The'doss hole in the road' and its related subways was one of the most ill concieved plans ever thought up by Sheffield city council. Thank you for a touch of reality, I speak as someone who possibly prevented a smash and grab raid down there by shouting at them [from a safe distance].

Thanks WB

A smash and Grab in hole in't rooad!

I can see em now wondering which way to run with a telli.

if the prevailing opinion is that hisotric building are only of value to tourists rather than citizens then i can see why sheffield is the way it is. those historic towns that retained their buildings did so because those who lived there (especially the buildings owners) saw value in them as they were, not as a plot of land. the end result of this was they eventually became tourist attractions because of the historic buildings. it wasnt some grand project in the 16th century to create a toursit destination 500 years later.

you get the built environment and city that reflects the wishes of the populace overall. for example, if there is little demand for apartments in historic buildings (e.g. kelham island/butcher works) compared to new build, then those buildings will not be saved. if a premium, or equal value is placed on a refurbished historic building (even 60/70/80s) then the owner will find it worthwhile refurbishing it.

of course, that relies upon the people as a whole expressing their desires and what they value, and developers/owners understanding the prevailing mood.

at the moment my opinion is that none of this is in place in sheffield (as opposed to many parts of e.g. london) -

- generally the sheffield public arent that bothered about the historic buildings of this city (e.g. the demolition of the art deco factory on penistone rd mainly attracted comment from those trying to win a competition to press the button to pull it down)

- if people do have a fondness for the historic built environment their voices are too few, too faint or too late in expressing it (wait till castle market comes down; see also cooling towers)

- developers are not (i believe) really up to speed with fashions/trends/changing tastes and by the time they realise that actually converted factories etc are desirable/valuable for flats/offices, they will haver pulled most of them down and lost loads of value.

A smash and Grab in hole in't rooad!

I can see em now wondering which way to run with a telli.

After be upwards Neepsend if you think about it !

WB

Can anyone think of any buildings in sheffield city centre that have been intentionally demolished that you think should have been saved?

The old Pond Street bus station

Pond Street Nora will be turning in her grave :hihi:

Morris Minor raises some interesting points. I just wondered what you folks thought about the Jessops issue? There is a seperate thread of course and I don't wish to upset the mods.

if the prevailing opinion is that hisotric building are only of value to tourists rather than citizens then i can see why sheffield is the way it is. those historic towns that retained their buildings did so because those who lived there (especially the buildings owners) saw value in them as they were, not as a plot of land. the end result of this was they eventually became tourist attractions because of the historic buildings. it wasnt some grand project in the 16th century to create a toursit destination 500 years later.

you get the built environment and city that reflects the wishes of the populace overall. for example, if there is little demand for apartments in historic buildings (e.g. kelham island/butcher works) compared to new build, then those buildings will not be saved. if a premium, or equal value is placed on a refurbished historic building (even 60/70/80s) then the owner will find it worthwhile refurbishing it.

of course, that relies upon the people as a whole expressing their desires and what they value, and developers/owners understanding the prevailing mood.

at the moment my opinion is that none of this is in place in sheffield (as opposed to many parts of e.g. london) -

- generally the sheffield public arent that bothered about the historic buildings of this city (e.g. the demolition of the art deco factory on penistone rd mainly attracted comment from those trying to win a competition to press the button to pull it down)

- if people do have a fondness for the historic built environment their voices are too few, too faint or too late in expressing it (wait till castle market comes down; see also cooling towers)

- developers are not (i believe) really up to speed with fashions/trends/changing tastes and by the time they realise that actually converted factories etc are desirable/valuable for flats/offices, they will haver pulled most of them down and lost loads of value.

I liked that art deco factory on penistone road,reminded me of an old radio my gran owned.