Firth park Library.

I was looking at the building recently and the building looks really old like it was a large inn or hotel the building looks a lot different to the rest of the buildings in the area,it looks like it is from the Gregorian time with wood frame and white painted walls has any one any pictures or information about this building, its one of those places you go past and not really notice its not until you stand back and look at it that you relies what a grand sort of building it must have been at one time I cant imagine it has always been a library.

I don't know what it was before being a library, but even as a small child I used to go inside and was mesmerized by the whole place, I can remember all the beautiful woodwork and the shape of it inside. Such a shame to see it now.

When I was little 40 years ago that building was the Co-op. I've asked my Mum and she says she can only remember it being shops.

Are people are getting confused between the old Firth Park Library on Firth Park Road and the old Co-op building at Firth Park Roundabout which has been the new library for some years now. I worked at the old Firth Park Library before it was renovated and the wooden bookshelves were beautiful as was the architecture generally. As far as I know the building where the new library is was always a Co-op. or do older Forum users know differently?

Looking at the address (443 Firth Park Road) in old Kelly's directories, the Brightside & Carbrook Co-Op is shown in the ones I have from between 1965 and 1973. The 1942 and 1954 directories each show two shops (a fishmonger and butcher in 1942, and a fishmonger and a "shopkeeper" in 1954). The address isn't mentioned in the 1905 directory, so I imagine the building dates from a later period. The "Tudor Revival" style of architecture was popular in the 1920s.

The building I meant is the original library on Firth Park Rd next to the old duck pond.Such a beautiful building.

The other one mentioned on the roundabout at Firth Park was previously the old co-op store.

I used to walk from Firth Park Grammar to the library, at that time I was interested in Egyptology. I spent hours looking at reference books which you couldn't have on loan. This was in 1944-45.

Spent many happy hours in Firth Park Library in my younger days in the 1950's & 60's living on Hinde House Lane. Wonderful building; Shame its not a library any more.

Does anyone know what the old Firth Park Library on Firth Park Road is now? I have happy memories of working in the elegant library in the early 1990s.

It was trade base a few years ago and used for all sorts but I think it is now for some religious group. I much preferred the old library, the quiet element of it and the helpful assistants who we knew quite well. I rarely use the new one now as it is all hustle and bustle. I now get my books online but would love to quietly browse again. Not much incentive either to shop at Firth Park now as it has all gone downhill fast.

Edited by gene

Here is a photo of Firth Park Pubic Library from 1930 in this book from my private library.I assume you remember it Golden Oldie from your time there.

There is nothing wrong with my speling stunmon.

On 07/01/2013 at 15:50, Janner said:

I used to walk from Firth Park Grammar to the library, at that time I was interested in Egyptology. I spent hours looking at reference books which you couldn't have on loan. This was in 1944-45.

Did you ever have a Pharoah'd time looking at the Tombs? I hear they were very sociable with the Tomb of Toot an' Come in! :lol: 

Er, yeah, *gets coat*