Unlocked churches?

Does it matter if any are open, it's only a book.

Such a trivial detail doesn't need to be true.

1Blessed is the man that walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful. 2But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law does he meditate day and night. 3And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatever he does shall prosper. 4The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind drives away. 5Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous. 6For the LORD knows the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

Psalm 1

1Blessed is the man that walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful. 2But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law does he meditate day and night. 3And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatever he does shall prosper. 4The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind drives away. 5Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous. 6For the LORD knows the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

Psalm 1

The UNGODLY shall Petish...I like that bit...

Go early on a Sunday. If fact, have a look outside for when the services are and then turn up an hour before they are due to start and then hang around afterwards. Have a word with the vicar and ask if he is ever in there and whether you could just have a wander around when it is empty - or almost empty.

A few of the Dan Brown books have sections in churches - may be worth reading those. When the character is in an empty church it feels different to when he's in a full one.

Go early on a Sunday. If fact, have a look outside for when the services are and then turn up an hour before they are due to start and then hang around afterwards. Have a word with the vicar and ask if he is ever in there and whether you could just have a wander around when it is empty - or almost empty.

A few of the Dan Brown books have sections in churches - may be worth reading those. When the character is in an empty church it feels different to when he's in a full one.

When the Character is in an EMPTY church?...God forbid...:hihi:

The last time i went into a church was to have a word with GOD. I never got an answer. I hate the places.... i think the world would be a better place without them. But to answer YOUR question...Your book won't sell...We have seen them allready...Have a nice day..
Yes i guessed what your agenda was when i saw your last thread introducing a topic that for some reason you soon chose to abandon.

Psalm 1

The OP was making an enquiry about a church to visit,not a Bible psalm from a book in the old testament.

Midhope church on way to Langsette, a beautiful little church

The OP was making an enquiry about a church to visit,.......

Maybe ...... or maybe the story involves a character entering a church during the day and for realism, he is looking for the name of a church that would fit the bill.

Why don't YOU go to some churches and find out for yourself?

I've tried quite a few – that's how I know that most of them are locked. And there are a lot of churches in Sheffield!

---------- Post added 05-01-2013 at 10:01 ----------

Have you never been in a church? Surely, you can use past memories and/or internet images to help. Otherwise, like others have said, there's the cathedrals.

I think it would be unwise for anyone to start giving the names of churches that are unlocked.

It's not interior details I'm after, it's that I don't want to mention something like 'they met at a church near the city centre' and then realise that there are no churches near the city centre that are unlocked during the week. I had thought of the Cathedral and will probably go for that. Thanks!

---------- Post added 05-01-2013 at 10:06 ----------

Thanks so much for your reply, but it's not the so much the internal details I'm after, just the fact of whether churches are locked or not during the week. (most of them seem to be)

---------- Post added 05-01-2013 at 10:08 ----------

I think it would be unwise for anyone to start giving the names of churches that are unlocked.

You're absolutely right, and other people have mentioned this too – to be honest, I hadn't thought about the consequences of naming unlocked churches when I posted my question.

---------- Post added 05-01-2013 at 10:15 ----------

Thank you so much to everyone who has replied. As several people have pointed out, it probably would be unwise to name churches that are unlocked during the week – sad, but true.

Also, my apologies for not being clear in my original post – I wasn't looking to describe a particular church, it was more that I didn't want to talk about characters meeting in an unlocked church if such a thing was not to be found in Sheffield.

Thanks again to all who have replied. I'll probably have my characters meeting at the Cathedral – at least we all know that's open!

---------- Post added 05-01-2013 at 10:16 ----------

You have two Cathedrals to choose from in Sheffield Town centre Sheffield Cathedral and St Marie's,there are other smaller churches,( at least one i know of) but its better not to mention them because when they are unlocked and unattended they are at risk of crime,thats why so many are locked now.

thanks Janie – you're absolutely right. I hadn't thought about it properly before posting.

---------- Post added 05-01-2013 at 10:19 ----------

Good luck with the book. If there is a film maybe I could have a small part in it?

Thanks – and if it ever gets made into a film, I'll let you know!