Friends from basegreen

Thought it would be, any idea how she is these days not seen her since 75

No I have'nt seen her for years but as it says earlier in the thread, her brother Richard has a shop on London Rd called 'mad mirrors'.

No I have'nt seen her for years but as it says earlier in the thread, her brother Richard has a shop on London Rd called 'mad mirrors'.

Cheers Mike

Friends from Basegreen Pt 1 of 3.

I'd like to mention some names of people I knew from in and around Base Green. Some others I knew won't be mentioned because they are on Old Harrow, White Lane, Early 70's. thread. I lived 68-75 at Crossland Drive, classed as Gleadless Townend, but I've always liked to infiltrate. lol.

1. Tony Ruston.

Lived at 25, Seagrave Crescent. Tony played football in Hollinsend Park with a big mob of us on Sunday's. It wasn't a case of casually meeting up in the park, but a case of lads [including me] who would run about the area knocking on doors heralding the fact that a 'match' would soon be taking place.lol. The Ruston family had Rumanian connections, possibly his Dad being militarily stationed there at one time.

2. Anthony Ptak.

Lived on Frith Close. Tony used to wear a black leather jacket with those shredded tassel like strips hanging down. He had shoulder touching long dark hair, and wore contact lenses. He also played football on Sunday's and was big pals with Mick Hardcastle who lived in the top block on Crossland Drive. Mick later joined the RAF. The last time I saw him was the day before he went to RAF Swinderby for his basic training. He was a big fan of Gary Puckett and the Union Gap.

3. Norman 'spud' West.

Lived on Seagrave Avenue. This thin bloke with the bleached blond hair used to play in a Sheffield band, Daisies? Spud would occassionally arrive in our playground [Hurlfield comp.] at going home time. The first six lads would pile into his car which was either a Popular or Prefect, which was painted sky blue. He would then circle around the playground up to haif a dozen times, then drive out the gate. He dropped each individual lad at their home. This type of thing would be frowned upon in today's paranoid world, but it was all done for a giggle and a gas. Nothing untoward ever happened. 1968-69 time.

4. Dave Skelton.

Lived on Basegreen Road. Dave was mentioned on post 20. I came across Dave a few times during my childhood but I can't remember where. What I do remember is seeing him at my workplace in the early 70's at Globe & simpson car spares on West Street. I also saw him a cuppla times in the Prince of Wales[Whitbread] pub [later Frog & parrot] on Division Street/Westfield Terrace, and also at times in't Old Harrow[Whitbread] near Base Green. Dave was a good footballer and was often seen smartly dressed with one of those lightweight sweaters with the Slazenger logo on the left side. The sweater was either sky blue or red.

5. John Warhurst.

If I remember rightly John was also Base Green based. I believe he represented Sheffield Harriers, and himself as a Star walker. I used to see him from our first floor maisonette window wobbling about going up Ridgeway Road on a daily basis. He used to walk on the road causing drivers to be ultra cautious. I recall his straggly stringy mop of hair and his larger than life bushy sideburns. Didn't he earn a medal in the Olympics in Mexico or Japan?

---------- Post added 01-10-2014 at 13:40 ----------

Friends of Basegreen Pt 2 of 3.

6. During 1969 I started boozing, my first pint being in the Foresters Whitbread on Division Street. In that same year I often patronized the Centre Spot [stones] on Jaunty Lane. When I went there it was usually on Saturday's, and it worra lovely pint of Stonses. There was a disco which was called Highway 69.Enjoyable times. Brilliant concert room. Tom & Marjorie ran the pub I think.

7. After the pub I'd buy lovely chips 'n' snips from Hopkinson's chippie at the shopping parade on Jaunty Way behind the pub.

8. I'll put this on as a filler. My journey home from the Centre Spot was : Up the jennel next to the shops on Jaunty Way to arrive at Lister Avenue, turn right and go until I reached Seagrave Crescent. I'd then turn left and go up Seagrave Crescent, then where the Crescent junctioned with Seagrave Drive, I'd take the jennel up to Crossland Place, with fish and chips wrapped tucked under my left arm. At the jennel's end I would take left and minutes later would be at home in the second block up on Crossland Drive.

9. Who the bleedin' 'ell was Mr Sizer? My younger sister [born '64] and her mates used to go on and on and on about him. I think he may have had a 'wheel stuck in't sand'. Was he the bloke with the stiff looking neck, tilted to the right? My sister went to Gleadless school on Hollinsend Rooad.

10. Anita Davies. Lived at Crossland Drive at nr. 28, top floor. If this is the same Anita Davies also mentioned in post 20, I will continue. If it's not the same one I'll still continue now that I've started. Anita I estimate was born 1955-56 ish. I once had a long courtship with her that lasted about a fortneet. She had a lovely personality and she was excellent company. We were together at the time Joe South - 'Games people play' and Bee Gees - 'First of May', had hits. '69ish. Good number. Anita had a great pair of pins and a tight butt.

Anita had 2 elder sisters called Linda and Paula, and a younger sister with beautiful wild red hair called Mandy. There was a younger brother called Brian[?]. Mrs Davies was very small and when she walked her head moved in a way that made one think she was looking left then right with each step she took. [confused? me too].She also liked her fags. Her name was Selena.

Mr Davies who was bespectacled, walked with the aid of a walking stick, sometimes two. He enjoyed a bet and was an ever present at the City Hall to watch professional wrestling [Pallo,Brakes, Kellett, Johnny Quango etc.] When hewent out for the bus [51 or 30] he would go down to the stop near to Kirkby Avenue. When he came back, he would alight at the Townend. This made me assume he had difficulty walking up hills. I didn't spy on him, it was just something observant me noticed. Mr Davies was called Bill.

I liked the Davies', good down to earth persons.

---------- Post added 01-10-2014 at 13:41 ----------

Friends from Basegreen Pt 3 of 3.

11. Anne [Elizabeth or Margaret] Ollerenshaw.

Lived on Seagrave Crescent Nr 51. Anne was a highly intelligent girl who went to one of those Sheffield school's for clever girls. That one on Convent Walk I think. I always looked forred to coming across her, her conversation was always interesting. She now and again mentioned another girl called Edwina, but I don't know if she was a friend or relative. Anne played trombone at school and often practised in the hut in their back garden that backed onto Crossland Drive.

Anne had a sister [Lynne?] a cuppla years younger, who later had a boyfriend called Chuck. Chuck was 5 years or so older than Lynne, and he was the proud owner of a Harley Davidson motor bike. I palled up with Chuck and he mentioned that he and his biker pals met up on saturday neets at the Butcher's Arms at Marsh Lane. Believe it or not I used to traipse all the way from Gleadless Townend to Marsh Lane Saturday nights in all weather. It was a great time with a fantastic jukebox. We had taken over the pub with something like 3 dozen in there. Funny thing though, there was about eight who owned a motorbike, the rest of us were foot soldiers. LOL. The worst part of the evening was having to walk all the way home tanked up. My leather jacket was borrowed off a lad who lived near to me. I did this for about 6 weeks or so then got bored. I think most of the people at that time drank snakebite.

Anne's sister also had a mate called Julie who lived in Ridgeway (council houses). This Julie lass was a stunning stunner, absolutely gorgeous. I also recall the times when a group of us used to go to the woods (Stoneley?) behind Charnock Estate and do the thing with an Quija Board. Is there anybody there? Quite scary at times. Apologies for going off thread. I have so much more to relate from my younger years.

12. Andy Pharoah.

Lived at Jaunty Crescent Nr 44. Andy was a work chum at Francis Colley Ltd on Garden Street in 1973ish. Andy used to go to Frecheville School when he worra kid. He was born 1953-54ish. At times he would take me home on the back of his motorbike. Andy was a good lad. There is no truth in the rumour he was involved in pyramid systems. LOL.

13. Brian.

Lived on't Base Green. We worked together at Globe and Simpson on West Street, in 1973ish. He drove a fawn coloured Robin Reliant three wheeled car. Brian was small, thin and wore Michael Caine bins. He was a cheerful type and was quite loquacious.

14. Jane Oldale.

Jane was mentioned on an earlier post. Jane, unfortunately, never got around to meeting me. Did she have a brother called Dave(?)? I went to Hurlfield School as he did. He be 60 now.

I remember some of the names you mentioned,jack warhurst lived on ridgeway road in the block of terraced houses in between kirby road and hollinsend road,i went to school,gleadless on hollinsend road and then hurlfield with his younger brother norman.

When i got my first car i rented a garage on crossland drive,i lived on seagrave crescent no 104.

Zakes i used to go to Gleadless school with Mandy Davis and another girl from Crossland called Karen Smalley. I think they both moved up Mosborough way before we went up to Ashleigh.

Hi, I'm trying to find Jack Warhurst he lived in the terraced houses near the junction of Hollinsend Road.

He won the Star Walk in the sixties and went on to represent GB in the Commonwealth Games.

He was a groomsman at my wedding in Feb 1966 I would love to find him and invite him to our Golden Wedding party

Anyone remember the Rockcliffes? Chris, Yvonne and the twins. Sorry twins, can't remember your names!