Frecheville Pond

What an eyesore.. It looked better before they "Re-developed" it. It looks incomplete and a mess. If they had fixed the problems with the path around the pond correctly in the first place then maybe they wouldn't have had to waste money doing what they have.. Is it just me that thinks this or do other people have the same opinion?

I must say it is a little better, but for all the money that it's cost I feel sure it should have looked a lot better than it doe's. It would be nice to know how much it has really cost, I'm sure we would be astounded. While they were doing it, wouldn't have been nice to see a proper job done, I'm not a fisherman but at the end of the day that is mainly why it was done and from what I see there is little room for them to fish. They should have left it for another 12months until they have saved enough money and not made a bodge of it.

Has anyone got a photo to post?

Glad to see it's getting a bit of TLC, though I think perhaps it would have looked better if they put some new street furniture and plants in on the grassy areas to make it a nicer place to walk around as well. I lived near there for 10+ years and the problem with the big problem with that pond is the morons who will never ever stop chucking litter in it.

Perhaps some money could go towards the Community Centre as well, which is dismal old place which hasn't changed since the 1950s - and it is really underused as a result. It'd certainly be a better place to hold classes and other meetings than that leaky old garden shed they call a library!

They should have left it for another 12months until they have saved enough money and not made a bodge of it.

Completely agree with that comment!!

I personally think that it looks un-finished and un-safe. The nice new path you'd more than likely expect to go the whole way around the pond as previous, just stops and goes into the mud? Whats the point?

http://www.frecheville-ffpp.org.uk/s/cc_images/cache_2427704322.jpg?t=1353078203

I do agree that money should be put into the Community Centre. It would benefit those that currently use it and would attract some more interest for the people that could.

Edited as i've just taken my son for a drive around the pond in his new car!

The path is fine. The tarmac path does end at one point, but the original path is still behind it and splits off from the tarmac one just before it ends. So you can go all the way around on the path.

You will be able to fish from just about anywhere, the only thing that needs watching in the spring is that the soil banks don't get too sludgy before they have a chance to colonise with grass and plant growth.

Overall it's a definite improvement. Has anything been done, or is planned to be done, about the amount of minature lilies and weed growth during the summer? I walked around earlier this year and there were very few places to fish as it was clogged with those lilies - it's always been weedy (canadian pondweed when I used to fish it every night!) but there were still plenty of places to fish.

I wouldn't want to see it decimated of weed as that would kill the clarity of the water, just sections cleared to allow fishing access.

Edited by Rob_1

I haven't been round there for a bit - have to go have a look

I went up today it looks a lot better than it did but not sure how anyone could fish from the swings side of the pond !! but its clear of most of the weed and has a few ducks who seem to like it

There is an AGM scheduled for Wednesday 23rd January according to the Friends of Frecheville Pond website. I think I may attend as some of the issues that have been discussed on the forum may be answered there.

I went up today it looks a lot better than it did but not sure how anyone could fish from the swings side of the pond !! but its clear of most of the weed and has a few ducks who seem to like it

It looks clear of weed as it dies off in winter, in the summer it was rammed with it and there were very few fishing spots.

I'm sure that it will all look better when the grass has re-grown, although it's going to struggle in places where it gets trampled on - why anyone feels the need to walk in all that mud puzzles me though. With regard to the Community Centre, if anyone knows of any grants that we could apply for to help us maintain & improve the building, we would be delighted to hear from you. Thank you.