So Jobcentre cancelled JSA after missed signing on, what to do?

What about Income Support? A different benefit to JSA. Also, if you don't want a job because you are working towards a qualification to take you to higher education it is easier to fill in the application and apply for the job but make a mess of the interview so you don't get it. I know this sounds bad but if you want to carry on your studies and get money this is what you need to do. Just because you apply for a job doesn't mean you will get it. A few questions which make you sound like a future problem could lose you the job without you sounding disinterested, which is not what you want the employer to report back to the DWP. Ask about a contract, or sick pay entitlement...surefire NO to you then.

That’s the point isn't it, if you don't want a job you shouldn't get benefits and working doesn't stop you studying.

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum.

I've dropped out of my business degree and looking to study a MEng in Civil Engineering in October 2014, which I find this field to be very practical, creative and fulfilling.

I was at college taking part in an Access to Higher Education Computing course while trying to claim JSA, but dropped out of that too.

I failed to apply for a full time job which was provided to me by the jobcentre since that job conflicted with one of my college days and also by mistake I missed a signing on day, which I assumed my appointment was the signing on.

So I'm out of education (going back to education later), got no money, looking hard for jobs to obtain an income to maintain myself. Its preety depressing in my situation.

What can I do to reclaim JSA in this position as a temporary means until I find a job?

I've got GCSE's, A-levels, IT skills, voluntary work experience, hopefully someone will find me enticing.

Do what they have told you to do. Get down there ASAP and complete the reclaim forms. IF you are unsuccessful - you will have to deal with it then. Dont sit there pre empting what MIGHT happen. Get in there and make sure you ask them all the questions on your mind. Its their job to advise you of your options.

Im sure it is depressing but you have got to keep at it. Keep applying for anything and everything using all sources you can. Dont get picky and start being selective. You are looking for something to keep you in money until 2014. It does not have to be career for life. Shop work, bar work, cleaning work, call centre... all will do nicely.

Have you tried agencies too? Make sure you get out there and make appointments with them all.

At the end of the day, you put yourself in the situation. you chose to drop out of your education and you have got to make sure you do everything you can to get working ASAP. That's certainly going to be the Jobcentre's position.

What about Income Support? A different benefit to JSA. Also, if you don't want a job because you are working towards a qualification to take you to higher education it is easier to fill in the application and apply for the job but make a mess of the interview so you don't get it. I know this sounds bad but if you want to carry on your studies and get money this is what you need to do. Just because you apply for a job doesn't mean you will get it. A few questions which make you sound like a future problem could lose you the job without you sounding disinterested, which is not what you want the employer to report back to the DWP. Ask about a contract, or sick pay entitlement...surefire NO to you then.

Excellent advice . . . Lets hope the employer feeds back to DWP and you lose your entitlement to benefits. Totally disgusted wasting an interview slot that someone who actually does want to work could have had.

You'll always be entitled to hardship payments. So you need to claim them whilst you sort out your JSA - presumably via a rapid reclaim?

You can study upto 16 hours with out any JSA been affected. But the job and searching for another job to increase your hours enabling you to sign off and become indepedant takes priority.

Otherwise you will have t study after work like i do.

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum.

I've dropped out of my business degree and looking to study a MEng in Civil Engineering in October 2014, which I find this field to be very practical, creative and fulfilling.

I was at college taking part in an Access to Higher Education Computing course while trying to claim JSA, but dropped out of that too.

I failed to apply for a full time job which was provided to me by the jobcentre since that job conflicted with one of my college days and also by mistake I missed a signing on day, which I assumed my appointment was the signing on.

So I'm out of education (going back to education later), got no money, looking hard for jobs to obtain an income to maintain myself. Its preety depressing in my situation.

What can I do to reclaim JSA in this position as a temporary means until I find a job?

I've got GCSE's, A-levels, IT skills, voluntary work experience, hopefully someone will find me enticing.

You said that you missed a signing day, how long did you leave it, did you go to the JC when you realised you'd missed your signing, as the JC will leave your claim 7 days before closing it down. You say you didn't apply for a job they told you about, that is a breach of your jobseekers agreement, and they could sanction you.

The form they are asking you to fill in is a JSA 4RR, and if you have had no change of circumstances you'll be okay as long as the gap between claims is more than 12 weeks I think (not certain) If you are entitled to a rapid reclaim you have to ring the contact centre, who will give you an appointment to go into the JC to fill in the necessary paperwork. If out of the rapid reclaim timescale you have to make a new claim, if ever you cannot get to a signing just ring up they will put a message on the system and go in either later that day, or next day to sort out, don't just leave it..

---------- Post added 03-01-2013 at 18:17 ----------

You'll always be entitled to hardship payments. So you need to claim them whilst you sort out your JSA - presumably via a rapid reclaim?

No they are not, hardship depends on circumstances, trust me if they are single living at home they would have more luck nailing custard to the wall. Whilst JSA is being sorted out they can request an "interim" payment which is taken back out of the 1st benefit payment.

Edited by Bypassblade

They told me to fill in rapid reclaim form. If this is not successful, I could be banned for reclaiming JSA for 6 months or even more. Hopefully I'll have a job bt Feb.

It's unlikely they'll ban you for 6 months. Poeple who get their JSA suspended for 6 months have usually done a few serious breaches of the rules such as having to look for work. Just forgetting once shouldn't be serious enough.

Income Support almost certainly won't be an option as it's generally limited to people who can't work. As the OP wants to work JSA is the best option.