Anyone recall a murder in the late 50s early 60s ?

On 10/01/2020 at 13:00, St Petre said:

That came to be known as 'The Little Miss Music Murder' when an elderly piano teacher- a Miss Jones - was slain  in her Ellesmere Road home by a neighbour from nearby Lyons Road name of Phillips, all for five old shillings. The incident happened at Christmas 1961 and the killer being sentenced in early 1962.

Thanks for that. You are absolutely right. You have jogged my memory.  I wonder where he is now?

24 minutes ago, DavidFrance said:

Thanks for that. You are absolutely right. You have jogged my memory.  I wonder where he is now?

Can't answer for his whereabouts now and I think he was around 21 at the time (1961) so might still be around. At the trial he said that he had recently married and became unemployed and had no money for Christmas...all that for five bob !

On 24/01/2013 at 16:23, Plain Talker said:

Going on the rough time the maisonettes on Spital street and the surroundings were built, it would have been nearer the mid 1960s, Only Me, and by that time, the DP had been more or less abandoned.

(The last judicial hangings in Britain were of two men, convicted jointly of the same crime, who were executed on 13th April 1964. This disturbs me a bit, as Britain hanged the last people within my lifetime.

Yoyo says, above, that the man confessed to the crime, and was imprisoned for the woman's death, later being released.

My mum worked at the Burngreave liberal club in the early 60s and I remember the maisonettes on Spital Lane were already built I can’t remember a body being found though.

Edited by hobinfoot

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2013 at 15:55, kidley said:

yes it was deffo Spital Lane, not sure of the number though.

Yes, Spital Lane. What I thought somewhat ironical was that a police sub-station was built almost next door to it (Spital Lane/Andover Street).

Edited by St Petre
add

While on about Pitsmoor murders: anyone old enough to recall the oddly named 'Bread and Jam' murder in 1959? Not all that bizarre in it's nature and didn't get much local publicity because 'The Star' /'Telegraph' weres on strike at the time. It was in the Fox Street/ Rock Street area of Pitsmoor.

Edited by St Petre
add