Anyone recall a murder in the late 50s early 60s ?

It wasn't him who killed Maid Marion was it?

allways one troll:rant:

I had a cousin murdered in the Hyde park flats 33years old nams as Gorman.

I had a cousin murdered in the Hyde park flats 33years old nams as Gorman.

When was this, was he killed with a knife?

In 1966 his name was Dennis. I do not know the circumstances surrounding his death.

From what you say its more than likely the murderer was hung for his crime?

Going on the rough time the maisonettes on Spital street and the surroundings were built, it would have been nearer the mid 1960s, Only Me, and by that time, the DP had been more or less abandoned.

(The last judicial hangings in Britain were of two men, convicted jointly of the same crime, who were executed on 13th April 1964. This disturbs me a bit, as Britain hanged the last people within my lifetime.

Although hangings had slowed to a crawl in Britain — there were just two in 1963, and none in 1964 before this day — death sentences continued to be handed down. But the trend was toward abolition: the British Parliament suspended the death penalty for ordinary crimes late in 1965, and made the suspension permanent in 1969.)

Yoyo says, above, that the man confessed to the crime, and was imprisoned for the woman's death, later being released.

Going on the rough time the maisonettes on Spital street and the surroundings were built, it would have been nearer the mid 1960s, Only Me, and by that time, the DP had been more or less abandoned.

(The last judicial hangings in Britain were of two men, convicted jointly of the same crime, who were executed on 13th April 1964. This disturbs me a bit, as Britain hanged the last people within my lifetime.

Yoyo says, above, that the man confessed to the crime, and was imprisoned for the woman's death, later being released.

Thanks PT, i was aware of the last hanging in Britain. It was my understanding the crime commited on Spital street was before CP was abolished? It does appear the killer was eventually released.

very interesting reading.i love hearing these stories.

very interesting reading.i love hearing these stories.

In the early 50's I think it was . There was an old lady ( Mrs. Sentance ) on Wallace Road on the springs who was murdered by her brother . He stole £20 off her and battered her to death . He gave himself up at Salford police station . He had 1s.3d. in his pocket .

The womans body was found in number 45 Spittal lane. Family called McVeigh. I lived in no 41.  

Gruesome topic of conversation but highly relevant since in the 60s murders were very few and far between,  unlike the present day. I was a probationer PC working the beat on Ellesmere Road when I was sent to guard the door of a house near All Saints Church where an old lady had been found battered to death. A young male neighbour was later found guilty of the crime and sentenced to a period of detention. That was probably 1962 or 63 and I would have thought was one of only two or three murders that year in the whole of the city.  But can you imagine a time when in the streets around Burngreave and Pitsmoor there was ALWAYS a copper walking the beat, 24 hours of the day ?    That's how it was for most of the Central Division, dozens of coppers walking the beat, on foot, 24/7,  armed only with a whistle and a stick !  They WERE the good old days!

1 hour ago, DavidFrance said:

Gruesome topic of conversation but highly relevant since in the 60s murders were very few and far between,  unlike the present day. I was a probationer PC working the beat on Ellesmere Road when I was sent to guard the door of a house near All Saints Church where an old lady had been found battered to death. A young male neighbour was later found guilty of the crime and sentenced to a period of detention. That was probably 1962 or 63 and I would have thought was one of only two or three murders that year in the whole of the city.  But can you imagine a time when in the streets around Burngreave and Pitsmoor there was ALWAYS a copper walking the beat, 24 hours of the day ?    That's how it was for most of the Central Division, dozens of coppers walking the beat, on foot, 24/7,  armed only with a whistle and a stick !  They WERE the good old days!

That came to be known as 'The Little Miss Music Murder' when an elderly piano teacher- a Miss Jones - was slain  in her Ellesmere Road home by a neighbour from nearby Lyons Road name of Phillips, all for five old shillings. The incident happened at Christmas 1961 and the killer being sentenced in early 1962.

Edited by St Petre