Should I move to Sheffield?

I wouldn't personally but...

Why are people selling Sheffield to this fella on what is not in it. Does he even like the countryside?

Why are you intent on ignoring one of the best aspects of Sheffield and selling the night life of London, does he even like night life?

Why are you intent on ignoring one of the best aspects of Sheffield and selling the night life of London, does he even like night life?

He stated he is interested in music, sport, Art and finding a job, and is Sheffield better than other similar sized cities for these.

People then started carping on about the Peak District. I'd assume if he wanted long walks in the country, he would have mentioned it and I would have given Sheffield a better endorsement.

However, given those four things as a criteria I didn't recommend it.

i feel like i should have told you little more about myself when i wrote this, but i got the answers and opinions i wanted anyway so thanks :)

btw AlfieMcWawa and Cyclone i'm not a guy

i feel like i should have told you little more about myself when i wrote this, but i got the answers and opinions i wanted anyway so thanks :)

btw AlfieMcWawa and Cyclone i'm not a guy

Ha ha. I'm sorry about that. Teach me to make assumptions.

didn't mean it like that...

Hey I´m thinking of moving to Sheffield when I´ve graduate next year. I was wondering if it´s easy to get a job? and if it´s a good city if you are intrested in art, music and sport? Or if it better to move to London for example?

Yes, the jobs are very easy to come by. Just drop off your CV at Aldi or Netto. Obviously, we have Graves Art Gallery which is bloody world class and we have really highbrow music like Arctic Monkeys. Sport? Are you kidding? We have the two best football teams in the country as soon as a billionaire or two buys them. No, do not go to London. It's a backwater compared to Sheffield.

Hey I´m thinking of moving to Sheffield when I´ve graduate next year. I was wondering if it´s easy to get a job? and if it´s a good city if you are intrested in art, music and sport? Or if it better to move to London for example?

I also think this is possibly a wind up - but just in case we are dealing with the innocent naive...

There is no city in the United Kingdom better than London for everything - that's why it's the capital.

But the cost of being in or around London makes it unsustainable for many folk of all ages actually, not just students.

Sheffield is not the most progressive of cities - but it does have a good art, music and sports scene - and some of the most beautiful countryside for outdoor sports right on the doorstep. It also has a very considerable student population and is relatively cheap to be a student here. I don't know the stats now, but it used to have one of the highest student retention rates of any city in the UK - which kind of tells you that people like it.

Best thing to do is come and spend a few days here and see what you think. Talk to other students. Form your own opinions.

As regards jobs...

There are always more jobs down south mate - but you can always move once you've got what you need from your education presumably?

Edited by DerbyTup

There is no city in the United Kingdom better than London for everything - that's why it's the capital.

Nope, its the capital just by sheer luck of its historical location.

Indeed. How can someone graduate without being able to compose a sentence correctly?

He asked for advice and gets pulled down over how he's constructed his sentences. One of the reasons I rarely use Sheffield Forum these days is through fear of getting pulled down with regards to my spelling and general sentence construction. I'd put money on it that you people pulling others down on Sheffield Forum wouldn't do the same thing face to face.

Nice and easy sat behind a computer screen :P

Edited by Sim0n

No harvey nicks doesnt come into it actually.

The presence of normal people who talk to newcomers for a start, instead of people in Sheffield who ignore and are often blood curdlingly rude to people who aren't from "these here parts" for years on end as if they are aliens from mars.

That and the comparative lack of an extremely uneducated and oppressively narrow minded, small town atmosphere that makes even Bradford look metropolitan. Those would be for starters.

Yep, totally agree.

I've lived and worked in London, as well as the north, and Sheffield is very provincial. Everyone gossips about everyone, and no-one seems to have any drive. If you want a quiet, boring town where nothing happens, come and live in Sheffield. If you want to live in a progessive, exciting, stimulating city, go further north to Leeds, or Manchester. London is one of the best cities in the world, and I miss living there. I'm looking for work there now. Sheffield is ok as a base, as the houses are much cheaper, but the downside is you have to live here!! Depends what you want.

Sheffield people are certainly no friendlier than anywhere else, and I still can't understand why they keep chuntering on about how friendly they are! They tend to be people who've never lived anywhere else. I've lived and worked in at least 7 cities, north and south, and Sheffield is by far the most boring.

Edited by Tutti Frutti