Is Alex Ferguson losing the plot?

Given his latest outburst at yesterday's press conference I begin to wonder if arguably the greatest manager of modern times is showing signs of mental decline.

Argue as much as you like about the relative merits of Newcastle United but it does seem a tad infra dig for a knight of the realm to be slagging off other teams and managers in this way, especially when one could say that he and his team have hardly ever been at the forefront of the Respect Campaign.

Add to that the (imo) ridiculous comments regarding van Persie recently and I think he's on a downward spiral. If this is all mind games I am wrong in spectacular fashion I suppose.

Makes you wonder, and yes the RVP comment about him being killed by the ball, was PATHETIC

Makes you wonder, and yes the RVP comment about him being killed by the ball, was PATHETIC

Gets even stranger when he says Manchester United are the world's biggest club and he has now banned Sky television from press conferences like he did with the beeb previously.

Before the Toon played them last week he was saying they couldn't surprise anyone anymore. He looked more than surprised for most of the game. Bet he changed his underwear at half time. :D

I have the same impression for some time now, and he is showing all the signs, and I sometimes think the FA and others are scared of him.

I have the same impression for some time now, and he is showing all the signs, and I sometimes think the FA and others are scared of him.

Maybe he's started to believe in his own hype and is becoming a caricature.

I'm sure there are refs that are scared of him and he gets more respect than perhaps he deserves from those running the game.

Yes he has he was showing classic signs at the Newcastle match his body language amongst other things clearly said so and he was wrong!

Apart from anything else he sets a terrible role model for the sport the way he treats ref's its pure bullying and intimerdation.

And we wonder why ref standards are sometimes poor maybe because to be a top flight ref these days you also have to have a skin of steel to put up with the intimerdation by big club managers

Nobody can deny what he has achieved but you do wonder about his management methods.

Its very clever what Alex Ferguson does when Man Utd dont play well he usually comes out with some daft comments in his interviews which takes the attention off his players and onto him.

Its very clever what Alex Ferguson does when Man Utd dont play well he usually comes out with some daft comments in his interviews which takes the attention off his players and onto him.

Sorry but as been said he's a thug and a bully, he ought to remember it's the EPL not the AF league. It's about time he was brought to book and told to shut his gob, and remember he does not run football.

All the comments on here have been right.

The thing is why do the authorities allow him to get away with it?

I know that the ref did not mention the constant abuse in his report, which apparently means nothing, can be done. The football authorities must have seen it on TV, young children must have seen it, yet nothing can be done!

Well the authorities sometimes alter red cards after reviewing video evidence usually brought to their attention by the TV media.

My view is that not only should Fergie be punished appropriately but also should the ref be reprimanded for not putting such obvious abuse to all the officials in his report.

Let's not forget your talking about one of the very best managers of/all time not saying what he as said is right but if he is loosing plot/as such its sad to see as football is his life and he as devoted his life to it also mental health is nothing to joke about one bit

The FA should have come down on him like a ton of bricks but he has half of the match officials in the league intimidated to the extent that they daren't even mention him in their post match report. If they did he'd just have a go at the referees performance and the media would lap it up and lynch the referee because if they don't suck up to Ferguson he'll boycott them like he did the BBC for all those years.

I think even the FA are intimidated by his power/stature within the game, it can't be good for both on and off pitch partiality.

Edited by MickM

Let's not forget your talking about one of the very best managers of/all time not saying what he as said is right but if he is loosing plot/as such its sad to see as football is his life and he as devoted his life to it also mental health is nothing to joke about one bit

If your remark about "joking" about mental health is directed at me I can only suggest that you read the OP again. I'm a retired psychologist and I wouldn't dream of joking about it.

I also referred to him as "arguably the greatest manager of all time."

It doesn't alter the fact that his behaviour of late leaves a lot to be desired and that is the point I was making.