Fibre optic BT and Origin

Hello folks my first post on here.

I live in Beighton. On the BT infinity map it says infinity is scheduled for enablement on the 31/12/12. Ive rang BT but they say there is no information to say when it will be enabled.

However I came across a local firm Origin based in Doncaster. I gave them a call and they said they can enable me on fibreoptic?? strange but true.

What are other peoples experiance of Origin or are they trying to pull a fast one on me??

Any BT engineers that could answer would be great thanks

Ian

i have been an origin user now for almost a yr. no problems at all. great little company

Hello folks my first post on here.

I live in Beighton. On the BT infinity map it says infinity is scheduled for enablement on the 31/12/12. Ive rang BT but they say there is no information to say when it will be enabled.

However I came across a local firm Origin based in Doncaster. I gave them a call and they said they can enable me on fibreoptic?? strange but true.

What are other peoples experiance of Origin or are they trying to pull a fast one on me??

Any BT engineers that could answer would be great thanks

Ian :roll:

Digital region will most likely be active already in your area which is why you will be able to get origin straight away.

BT will only rollout infinity when the system has been tried and tested and all is good with no faults. The launch date is only a guide, but if the system is ok with no faults they will probably rollout on that day anyway.

Why is it 'strange but true'?

South Yorkshire has a high speed fibre optic network that is totally independent of BT, funded partly by the South Yorkshire local councils, the EU and Government money.. it's called Digital Region.

Origin Broadband is a local company that provides internet services via the Digital Region network to users in the South Yorkshire area.

I and several others here are customers of Origin, and generally speaking I find them to be very good.

Edit: I should point out that BT is currently in a tendering competition with another company to be awarded the contract to manage the Digital Region network, the announcement for the winner is due at any time.. it wouldn't surprise me if BT has paused it's South Yorkshire rollout of it's own infrastructure while awaiting the outcome of the tender process.

Plenty of Origin threads on here if you search, plus they have at least one member here, named OriginPete who usually pops up to answer queries.

Hello!:wave:

We're definitely not pulling a fast one. lol

BT tend to have some information regarding FTTC (infinity) availability 12 months prior to the fibre being ready for consumers. If they're still completely in the dark on this, I'd say there's quite a wait.

The special offer for free install runs out in 2 days so i'd recommend making your decision soon! :)

Hello!:wave:

We're definitely not pulling a fast one. lol

BT tend to have some information regarding FTTC (infinity) availability 12 months prior to the fibre being ready for consumers. If they're still completely in the dark on this, I'd say there's quite a wait.

The special offer for free install runs out in 2 days so i'd recommend making your decision soon! :)

If you do go for the free install tell them Max off the forum recommended you. :D

No fast one, Origin are a provider on the Digital Region network, which is only in South Yorkshire and currently has nothing at all to do with BT.

It is Fibre (FTTC, fibre to the cabinet) and should be pretty swift. I'm with Origin at the minute and they have been nothing but brilliant.

I would suggest signing up ASAP as they currently have an offer on of free installation and half price for the first three months.

http://www.origin-broadband.co.uk/ and http://www.digitalregion.co.uk/ for more information on the network

Might also want to look at DRL Forum for a user support board; http://www.drlforum.co.uk/index.php

essentially it does the same as BT infinity but it is a totally separate network that was developed by south Yorkshire councils and residential connections are offered by ISP s like origin. so same thing but different if you get me!

If you do go for the free install tell them Max off the forum recommended you. :D

Thanks for the info Max.

We are still keen on keeping the landline can you keep the same number on voip or is a new number required as standard?

Defo intrested we have o2 at the moment. Had no problems however when I'm on the xbox and my daughter is on the ds then it cuts out so time to upgrade lol

---------- Post added 28-12-2012 at 19:16 ----------

Thanks for all the info folks. Obviously I'm not up to scratch with who has contracts etc. I'm all for going with local firms so will defo contact Origin.

Thanks again

Well as getting info on here, you can also look at the digital region community forum drlforum.co.uk

A few members on here are also members on the community forum