What Bird killed Wood Pigeon ?

have just been on rspb website and the professionals that they are gave me the answer i was looking for : Everyone who said female sparrowhawk take a bow, because that is definately what it was.

;)

Was walking on Meersbrook Road yesterday, when all of a sudden wood pigeons shot straight out of a tree. I wondered if it was me who startled them, then saw a few feathers dropping down. and when i looked up a big brown bird dropped down about 10 yards in front of me holding the pigeon in it`s claws. I crossed over not to disturb it and it started to peck the feathers off , then flew over a small hedge into a garden. No traffic or people about, and on returning about 25 mins later had a look over the hedge and there were feathers everywhere, and the brown bird was still there with a pigeon carcass stripped to the bone. what bird was the brown one ? deffo not a kestrel, too small. any suggestions.

If it looks hawk like it is probably a sparrow hawk witnessed it several times in my garden they pluck the feathers leaving them in a neat circle usually carry off the body. Once had an amazing sight where another pigeon kept swooping at Sparrowhawk as it plucked away -- it flew up with one pigeon in its talons and tried to attack the other one - nature in the raw!

I live near Meersbrook Pk and have witnessed a Sparrowhawk killing a wood pigeon in my back garden.

Sparrow hawk for deffo.

What Bird killed Wood Pigeon ?

Dunno.

But if any bugger's asking, I heard that it were t'Sparrow wot did **** Robin in!

You never 'eard it from me. Geddit?

Female sparrowhawk nailed on !

Could also be a musket (male sparrow hawk )... I've hunted both.

Interesting that.

Thank you.

I've been looking it up and historically a Musket Hawk would be the male and a Sparrow Hawk would be the female.

No problem ... They will both take magpie and pigeon and much smaller stuff with ease.

Not if it was brown though. I reckon a male sparrowhawk is too weedy to take a pigeon - they leave that up to the ladies :D

Hi...found this intresting as on Boxing Day we had a brown bird much bigger than a crow swoop down onto nextdoors hedge and kill a pigeon.

Hubby reckoned it was a sparrow hawk ...It sat and never botherd about us all going out to look at It ...

I thought it was a captive one that had got out with its calmness...

Was absolutely lovely to watch it take of and circle.

This is on Parsons Cross and ive seen it again yesterday overhead.

Not if it was brown though. I reckon a male sparrowhawk is too weedy to take a pigeon - they leave that up to the ladies :D

Wrong I've hunted sparrow hawks since I was 10...the male will easily take pigeon and this is one of my male's

Oh and what colour are they..?

1A782677-2E84-4487-9B8E-2DBCFB04B5DA-497-0000004E9168813B.jpg

3684FFB1-B4DC-4291-A1E8-1557B16F95E3-4519-00000311F0753449_zps7bd20e1f.jpg

E5661714-260A-4CAF-900E-8FA3DD70D876-4519-00000311EC605B9F_zps6f025884.jpg

I'm not saying it was a male.. That the OP is talking about I'm just saying it could have been either as both will hunt pigeon if available.