Channel 5 programme with the burmese python

carpetviper

How sad last night to see the woman take in a free burmese python @ 10ft and 60kg and having absolutely no idea and then talks about getting rid when she get nailed at the vets and her mum wants it PTS.

Unfortunatly this is something that I have numerous times and it makes me sick.

How sad last night to see the woman take in a free burmese python @ 10ft and 60kg and having absolutely no idea and then talks about getting rid when she get nailed at the vets and her mum wants it PTS.

Unfortunatly this is something that I have numerous times and it makes me sick.

I too saw this programme, and was shocked at the cramped conditions it was living in. Such a creature should not be there in a small area like that. !

A snake needs at least a foot square of floor space for each foot in length.

So the minimum viv should be at least 5x2x2 at the very least but I have mine in a 5x2x2 and its only 4ft at the moment but will eventually go in a 8x3x3 as mine is female and could grow to upto double the size of the one you saw last night.

The woman only got bitten because she had no experience with large snakes and the vet wasnt much better either.

Personally if you know your large snake can be snappy and they generally will be because of the stress and the fact at the vets the snake could smell all the potential prey that been on that floor.

Me personally I would have but a sock over its head for the check up as it would stop the bitey end coming towards you open at speed.

---------- Post added 28-12-2012 at 01:10 ----------

Picture of Nagini

Edited by carpetviper

Picture of Nagini

Oh she is very pretty :)

I love looking at reptiles and spiders as I think they are beautiful but have never wanted to keep one. I think a lot of people get them thinking they are 'easy' pets and not thinking about how they will care for them or what they will do when they grow!

If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth.If wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error JS Mill

Picture of Nagini

Oh she is very pretty :)

I love looking at reptiles and spiders as I think they are beautiful but have never wanted to keep one. I think a lot of people get them thinking they are 'easy' pets and not thinking about how they will care for them or what they will do when they grow!

Sadly this is very true I would have taken that snake had I known about it and been closer because it was only striking out because it was stressed at being moved and handled about.

Wouldn't the snake be better off in a zoo or proper reptile facility where they have the appropriate living quarters, equipment and experience to deal with such a large (and dangerous) animal.

Why would you assume it was the snake that was dangerous?

The only danger was the womans lack of experience.

You would not find a zoo to take it as unfortunately they get lots of offers as people buy them unaware of the size they get too.

I have a few snakes including the type in the programme and they live better in homes than they do in zoo's or in the wild to be perfectly honest as a true snake keeper knows everything about their snakes their ways their foibles and when a snake doesnt want to be disturbed.

That snake reacted badly due to stress its just a pity the woman didnt understand this.