Opinion re rehoming / selling pets

Priorylady

Is it against forum rules to express an opinion about reasons for selling pets?

I expressed an opinion earlier and the post has been deleted without explanation.

I think it is unacceptable to sell pets to 'make room for new ones'

It's absolutely unacceptable, just seen the ad you refer to. The people should be ashamed of themselves, but no, they just come on here flaunting it. And this thread will be gone in a flash.

It seems a crass and insensitive reason for getting rid of a pet. Imagine if it was a child, "we don't have room for the kids because we are getting a new one".

A friend of mine once worked at the PDSA and someone wanted their dog put down because it was shedding hairs on the new sofa, she asked her if she'd do the same if her husband started shedding his hair.

I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

People never cease to amaze me. Someone I know has just had her cat put to sleep cos it started weeing in the house. I advised her to see a vet, use Felliway.....all the usual stuff, then told her I would rehome it for her when she threatened to have it PTS, the next thing I knew the cat was dead!! Such a sad waste.

The problem is that people just don't care anymore. We throw things away when we are bored, and for some that includes animals. I'm sure some people would do the same with their children if they thought they could get away with it :(

I don't see why any comment or thread should be removed providing it was well argued, polite and non offensive. It can actually be quite educational to have those sorts of discussions on a public forum, and if it makes just one person reconsider their actions then that's a good thing

I don't see why any comment or thread should be removed providing it was well argued, polite and non offensive. It can actually be quite educational to have those sorts of discussions on a public forum, and if it makes just one person reconsider their actions then that's a good thing

Thinking back, it was probably removed because I linked the rehoming add - thereby effectively 'naming and shaming' the object of my disgust.

I suppose saying that I thought the ad was outrageous and disgraceful may have been considered offensive and impolite as it was clearly directed at the people placing the ad

Rehoming threads are closed for this reason. We know that people will disagree with the reasons for rehoming, and whilst it is OK to state this in a PM to the user (if you feel really strongly about it) we can't allow every rehoming thread to degenerate into a slanging match.

We allow rehoming threads and whilst we can set rules such as the ages of kittens and puppies that we allow for rehoming, we can't place value judgement rules based upon whether we think that it's a valid reason for rehoming. We either allow them or we don't.

It's also the case that what one person may consider a valid reason for rehoming another person may think is completely inappropriate and vice versa, and if someone is offloading an animal for what you think is an inappropriate reason and the ad is removed then that doesn't mean that they are going to keep the animal, it just means that they will find other ways to get rid of them.

I work in rescue and I'm a realist when it comes to animal rehoming. There are people who have no 'real' reason for rehoming their animals but who are adamant that they are going home without the animal, and if you tell them that you only take them in on a planned schedule or waiting list then they will walk outside the door and just leave the animal on the doorstep. For that reason the rescues end up taking the animals purely for the sake of the animal because being left in a rescue is less desperate than being left by the side of a motorway or dumped in a piece of woodland.

Thinking back, it was probably removed because I linked the rehoming add - thereby effectively 'naming and shaming' the object of my disgust.

I suppose saying that I thought the ad was outrageous and disgraceful may have been considered offensive and impolite as it was clearly directed at the people placing the ad

Yes for this reason.

The threads are closed so that people cannot comment on them so how can it be then be ok to start a thread about the thread?

Often I and others in the group read rehoming threads and it can be so upsetting and people have been known to actually take the animals to make sure that they are ok, some people are even told not to try to sell animals any more on this site for various reasons which I can't go into but rest assured that a lot of care (or as much as we can do is put into the facilitating of the rehoming threads).

As Medusa says if they don't sell them here where people do tend to care at least then they will sell them somewhere else a lot less caring...but you can be sure that they will still sell them and won't change their mind because of anything someone says on here.

As Medusa says either we allow them or we don't, we cannot as group leaders decide if the reason is good enough :(