James Neill Tools Summerfield Street

My Dad and his friend Graham worked for Silver Knight after being made redundant from Neil`s ....that would be the 70s sometime !!!

2 joiners were Fred Sissons and Dereck Needham, both sadly not wth us any longer.

My Dad is Barry Collins, Graham and he used to decorate the stands I believe, can`t recall Graham`s surname, will ask my Dad, but he is no longer with us.

The two joiners I recall specifically working at James Neill producing display material with Albert Keats were Sid Stevenson and Vin Fletcher.

Derek Needham was more involved in general joinery work around the factory at that time.

Was the surname of the Graham you mention Bagshaw?

does anyone remember Margaret Whitaker who worked as a furnace operator in the hack saw dept back in the 80's?

---------- Post added 26-06-2013 at 22:05 ----------

can anyone remember a Margaret Whitaker who worked as a furnace operator in the hack saw dept back in the 80's?

---------- Post added 26-06-2013 at 22:06 ----------

remember Margaret Whitaker who worked as a furnace operator in the hack saw dept back in the 80's?

i worked in dawn department which was located on the first floor above bandsaw dept this was from 1975 till 1979 had some good times and it was a pleasure to work there had many a few run ins with brian bullas who played hell when he used to come and nosey at what we were doing "absolutely nothing sat on our bums and watching the radyne machines doing the work " he couldnt understand that when we were sat doing nowt the job was been done properly some names to remember geoff peat steve hoyland pete gold john taylor to name a few

I worked with Irene at Napier Street in the mid-70's. Didn't she go off to be a holiday rep?

She did secretarial work for a bunch of miscreants: Clive Brothwell, Barry Foster, Roy Bright, Ged Bamforth & Dennis Coupland.

Clive (avid Rothrham fan and rarely seen without a cigarette) and Barry (mainstay of every conceivable sports team) have both died in recent years.

Clive spent many hours in negotiations with Des Bell, union convenor.

In those days Des had his own office, carried a brief-case and spent fraternal holidays at workers' camps in Bulgaria. How times change!

Irene will remember all those plus Eve Jones, Doreen Burnside, Cyril Oldfield, Frank Spencer, Val Machin, Brian Whitehouse. They all worked in a huge personnel department.

One of those miscreants was my husband Barrie Foster . Sadly Barrie died in 2004 . I worked jn the wages office under Cyril Oldfied . We moved to Middlesbrough in 1990 . The list of names above have brought back a lot of memories.

If anyone remembers Margaret Whitaker or anyone else who worked in the Magnet Department between 1973 and 1987, please will you let me know as solicitors are looking for witnesses to help her family who are bringing a claim following her death from lung disease in 2011. Margaret worked as a grinder, fettler and on the furnaces?

Thanks

Jon S

I mentioned my story on a link in January 2010 and mentioned working alongside Betty Ledger and a few others when I worked as a junior secretary for John Yeardley, well I felt that I should mention that I bumped into Betty today at Drakehouse, near Crystal Peaks, she was walking to the car park and I recognised her, 40 years since ive seen her but I knew it was her, we had a lovely chat, which lasted a while as she had lost her car keys, ive got her phone number and I intend to contact her and meet for a coffee and a chat about old times and the 40 years since we last saw each other. :)

My aunt used to work there and played football for neils nymphs which I have recently got some old photos of if anyone is interested

My whole immediate family worked there in the late sixties. My mum,Mary Newbold, worked in the packing dept on the ground floor. My step dad, George Newbold, worked as a supervisor on the middle floor,can't remember what dept it was, all I remember is that he was in charge of a lot of ladies drilling holes in hacksaw blades and polishing whatever. As for myself, Brian Moss, I was a chemical technician on the top floor looking after the plating machine that nickel and chrome plated the handsaw and hacksaw frames.

hi bri I remember you well I was george's apprentice and can remember you worked in the plating shop of hacksaw frame dept you tried to get me to accept the music of juan carlos bream??.

wayne bridges now retired director of Neill tools