How long do BMW petrol engines last these days?

Looking at cars on Autotrader and saw an immaculate 630i BMW with 170k on the clock.

3.0 litre petrol with a full service history.

Assuming it's been well looked after, what can go wrong?! Silly question I know. What sort of problems are more likely with that sort of mileage and how long do engines like that last?

Cheers

:)

I understand that if a head gasket goes on a 6 cylinder BMW engine, that's pretty much terminal. My old one did about 180k, the head gasket was on it's way out (there were other problems - the car was 16 years old) and parkside BMW at worksop advised me not to bother. I'd give him a ring - he's very knowledgable - as a car like that could haemorrhage money if it's a wrong 'un. Get one in good shape though and it should last (except suspension bushes - they'll need doing I'm sure).

It's a 55 plate so not really old. Guess its the luck of the draw, I just wondered if the engines just need throwing away after a certain age, or if they are generally reliable is serviced correctly.

My Saab Diesel is on 170 and it runs like a dream but I know diesels are different.

My 540i was scrapped at 670,000 miles - if you look after them they will do silly milages. Be prepared for things like water pumps and alternators, they tend to start going from 250k onwards.

Fuel consumption will be a shock if you're used to your Saab Diesel!

Any knowledge of the last owners? It's not a massive mileage for a 55 if it was rep car.

I'd expect FSH with a car like that - but BMW or not, I don't think I'd pay for a 170k Petrol, unless cheap. Maybe worth risking then.

It's not that cheap, but 3k less than most others of its age. With 1 owner, you guess it's been well looked after. I still don't know if the engines start to eat money over a certain age though.

I might have to join a few BMW forums and ask about the real world MPG, My Saab does 40mpg on motorways but drops with town driving. I assume the BMW would do 30 odd on the motorway and drop with town driving. Stats for the mpg are not that bad (40 extra urban, 30 combined) That's if you can get anywhere near them! A reason to use my bike!

Edited by neeeeeeeeeek

It's not that cheap, but 3k less than most others of its age. With 1 owner, you guess it's been well looked after. I still don't know if the engines start to eat money over a certain age though.

I might have to join a few BMW forums and ask about the real world MPG, My Saab does 40mpg on motorways but drops with town driving. I assume the BMW would do 30 odd on the motorway and drop with town driving. Stats for the mpg are not that bad (40 extra urban, 30 combined) That's if you can get anywhere near them! A reason to use my bike!

Take very little notice of "any official" mpg details, they are conducted under conditions you will never copy. We have a 3 litre BMW X3 diesel, and it does not come near to any "official" mpg details we have seen.

Angel.

Yes, the quoted figures are often a bit suspect! I have joined a BMW forum, see if anyone can give me a bit of real world experience.