More shootings in USA

Please don't let this thread degenerate into another gun control wrangle there is a thread already about that subject.

Yes but why shoot at them, place looked like it was already aflame , could be a disgruntled fire fighter too, too bad he's dead though, now they might never know.

according to the news report I heard, the gunman had already served time (18 years) in the past for the murder of his own grandmother.

so, my thoughts are this:-

Did he get hold of the guns legally? If so, how was it that a convicted killer was allowed access to firearms? and does this show that it is too easy to acquire firearms in the USA?

---------- Post added 25-12-2012 at 00:49 ----------

Gun control laws are not the answer.... since when do criminals follow laws? this would just leave the the law abiding vulnerable.

you haven't really thought this one through, fully, have you?

Here in the UK, after the Dunblane School Tragedy, most non-essential firearms ownership was outlawed.

Whilst we get the occasional gun deaths, we certainly don't usually see them on this sort of scale, (Thank God!!) nor on this sort of frequency. (three major incidents in the US, in just over a week?)

Yes, criminals might find (nefarious) ways and means to acquire firearms, and whilstever firearms exist, the determined criminal will do his or her best to get hold of them.

In the US, it seems that you are more likely to be injured by the firearm that you own being used on you by an intruder than you are of potentially being able to protect yourself against the intruder. I shan't even go near the horrorshow statistics surrounding kiddies who are killed and maimed by playing with firearms they happen to come across, in parents' bedside cabinets.

Possessing a firearm, IMO, gives people a false sense of security.

More than 500 children die annually from accidental gunshots. Some shoot themselves, while others kill friends or siblings after discovering a gun.

Americans own 200 million firearms, and 35 percent of homes contain at least one gun. a study conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found more than 1.7 million children live in homes with loaded and unlocked guns.

Edited by Plain Talker

It has been explained by some, that Kennedy was executed because he wanted to withdraw the military out of Vietnam. This would have lead to a mass loss of jobs both in the military, but with particular emphasis on the arms market. One does wonder why the NRA and all associated with the trade in arms are against gun control in the USA. Maybe they feel control is the thin end of a wedge leading to an eventual ban some years down the road, and the loss of a large industry.

so your idea is to disarm the law abiding public and you think that will stop those things happening? well i would tend to disagree with that, because i don't think it was the gun that pulled its own trigger. look at the true cause.

What is the one thing all of those shooters had in common? They were all taking some kind of prozac type drug...

As long as there are psychopathic people being feed psychoactive pharmaceutical drugs. This sort of incident will always happen. They would just take a different type of weapon, if you ban guns.

I think this goes a lot deeper than most are willing to delve. its part of a planned agenda in my opinion (create a problem.... wait for the reaction.... then give the solution..)

The way to deal with this rising type of crime is to ban all psychoactive prescription drugs ban all viloent video games and films, ban all chemicals in drinking water and food.

sad when people putting out fires to HELP PEOPLE are shot and killed :(

It's happened in the UK too. Maybe not shooting with live ammunition, though I could be wrong, but I definately remember news stories about air weapons fired at the emergency services.

What is the one thing all of those shooters had in common? They were all taking some kind of prozac type drug...

The way to deal with this rising type of crime is to ban all psychoactive prescription drugs ban all viloent video games and films, ban all chemicals in drinking water and food.

Obviously there were two things that all those shooters had in common, if they were on some prozac drug. They each had at least a gun each too.

If you think that banning all violent video games and chemicals in drinking water and food will cut the number of shootings without reducing the number of guns circulating then I know who should be on prozac.

It's happened in the UK too. Maybe not shooting with live ammunition, though I could be wrong, but I definately remember news stories about air weapons fired at the emergency services.

yes we have, and petrol bombs etc thrown at them, luckily its only ever on a minor scale here and touch wood the idiots dont escalate it

yes we have, and petrol bombs etc thrown at them, luckily its only ever on a minor scale here and touch wood the idiots dont escalate it

Although it can cause death and in some cases it's premeditated, mostly its just young idiots acting the arse. Doesn't justify it but to equate it to shootings in the US would be naive.

according to the news report I heard, the gunman had already served time (18 years) in the past for the murder of his own grandmother.

so, my thoughts are this:-

Did he get hold of the guns legally? If so, how was it that a convicted killer was allowed access to firearms? and does this show that it is too easy to acquire firearms in the USA?

---------- Post added 25-12-2012 at 00:49 ----------

I have no idea how he got the guns, I'm guessing not legally. Convicted felons are prohibited by federal law from owning firearms or ammunition, unless they have their civil rights restored by the convicting state. People convicted of misdemeanor domestic battery or someone who is the subject of an order of protection are also banned from owning guns. If caught, the penalties are severe. Up to ten years in prison.

Edited by Sierra

Convicted felons are prohibited by federal law from owning firearms or ammunition..... If caught, the penalties are severe. Up to ten years in prison.

It's good to see that so much intelligence, planning and enforcement has gone into US gun law to make it such a success.

It has been explained by some, that Kennedy was executed because he wanted to withdraw the military out of Vietnam. This would have lead to a mass loss of jobs both in the military, but with particular emphasis on the arms market. One does wonder why the NRA and all associated with the trade in arms are against gun control in the USA. Maybe they feel control is the thin end of a wedge leading to an eventual ban some years down the road, and the loss of a large industry.

Who are "some" ?

Kennedy was dead set on following Eisenhower's policy of Communist containment in South-East Asia and South America. At that time he had no idea what getting involved in a country liike Vietnam would lead to. He believed that bringing the Cong to heel and stopping N.Vietnamese aggression would be a pushover

Suggesting that the NRA had something to with his death is plain stupid. I would sooner believe that Castro mught have had something to do with it since it was known by both Castro and the Soviet KGB that the Kennedy administration had for a few years beenn actively planning Castro's assassination

---------- Post added 25-12-2012 at 19:14 ----------

It's good to see that so much intelligence, planning and enforcement has gone into US gun law to make it such a success.

The UK government was pretty useless at keeping weapons out of the hands of the IRA and the Ulster Loyalists wasnt it? That's a bit sad considering that the the whole of Ireland is just a piddling little island with a coastline that could be easily patrolled by even a third world navy and a land mass area that would fit into California about 100 times and more.

What was the problem? Half the British army were also deployed in Northern Ireland, SAS probably had a quite a few operatives present plus the whole of the Ulster Constabulary aided by detachments from Scotland Yard yet shootings and assassinations happened on a regular basis and bombs were killing people not only there but in Britain itself.

Edited by Harleyman

Perhaps you can offer some solutions. Since you care so much.