More shootings in USA

Thanks for that comment. Just proves that gun control never applies to the criminals

That's too bad, I'm sure they would have turned in their guns right away :roll:

Still doesn't take away from the fact that the USA has a firearm homicide rate of 3.7 per 100K people and the UK has a rate of 0.04 per 100K people.

Still doesn't take away from the fact that the USA has a firearm homicide rate of 3.7 per 100K people and the UK has a rate of 0.04 per 100K people.

It certainly doesn't.

---------- Post added 27-12-2012 at 16:46 ----------Now Sheffield is slightly smaller in terms of population than Baltimore where in 2011 there were 196 homicides, not including other non-fatal shootings.

Baltimore, Maryland or Baltimore, Ohio? :huh:

---------- Post added 27-12-2012 at 21:15 ----------

No it doesn't. What is the cause in your opinion of the high casualty rate in Baltimore?

A large, low income, unemployed population with nothing to do all day except squabble over turf, drugs and other vices and enough firepower among them to take the Persian Gulf.

Throw in a shrinking tax base (because the decent, employed folks are moving away in droves) which leaves the police, firefighters and other public services stretched mighty thin and you have a veritable perfect storm of crime.

---------- Post added 27-12-2012 at 21:25 ----------

In Los Angeles gang shootings have declined very significantly in the last decade due to the work of the Los Angeles Police department gang suppression units. Hiowever they do still happen occasionally for one reason or another.

Crimes of passion cause a few deaths by gunfire now and again. This is an issue where a man's honour is sometimes at stake if his wife or girlfriend is unfaithful to him.

So what happened in Sheffield over the years that brought gangs into existence and armed with guns? The race track gangs existed back in the 1930/40s but they used razors to settle their grievances

Don't forget the gun buybacks Harley. ;)

There is no comparison between gang members and normal folk. My husband was a juror in a murder trial in another California county where the deceased was stabbed in the heart with brass knuckles like these because he yelled at the killer for driving too fast down the street.

Edited by Sierra

A large, low income, unemployed population with nothing to do all day except squabble over turf, drugs and other vices and enough firepower among them to take the Persian Gulf.

Throw in a shrinking tax base (because the decent, employed folks are moving away in droves) which leaves the police, firefighters and other public services stretched mighty thin and you have a veritable perfect storm of crime.

Is that Baltimore, Maryland or Baltimore, Ohio?

so your idea is to disarm the law abiding public and you think that will stop those things happening? well i would tend to disagree with that, because i don't think it was the gun that pulled its own trigger. look at the true cause.

What is the one thing all of those shooters had in common? They were all taking some kind of prozac type drug...

As long as there are psychopathic people being feed psychoactive pharmaceutical drugs. This sort of incident will always happen. They would just take a different type of weapon, if you ban guns.

I think this goes a lot deeper than most are willing to delve. its part of a planned agenda in my opinion (create a problem.... wait for the reaction.... then give the solution..)

The way to deal with this rising type of crime is to ban all psychoactive prescription drugs ban all viloent video games and films, ban all chemicals in drinking water and food.

So let me get this straight... you want to ban medication, which exists to help people recover from various health conditions, and ban video games, which exist to provide entertainment, while keeping it legal to own an assault rifle, which exists for one purpose and one purpose alone: to kill roomfuls of people in one go.

Riiiiiiiight :loopy:

Is that Baltimore, Maryland or Baltimore, Ohio?

Touché. Maryland.

---------- Post added 27-12-2012 at 21:15 ----------

---------- Post added 27-12-2012 at 21:25 ----------

Don't forget the gun buybacks Harley. ;)

There is no comparison between gang members and normal folk. My husband was a juror in a murder trial in another California county where the deceased was stabbed in the heart with brass knuckles like these because he yelled at the killer for driving too fast down the street.

The total so far turned is around 9,000. They showed some of them on the news, lots of rifles and hand guns but didnt see any assault weapons.

I wondered why they're turning them in unless they were never bought legally.

One weapon was a souvenir from WW2, a British army Bren gun

As a symbolic gesture that's okay but unfortunately it's almost certain that sooner or later there will be another mass shooting somewhere.

You can turn in all the guns you want but you cant turn in all the mentally unstable individuals out there with heads full of paranoid ideas and fantasies

---------- Post added 27-12-2012 at 21:19 ----------

Touché. Maryland.

I assumed it was Baltimore, Maryland. Terrible place

Touché. Maryland.

Pardon me, I thought it was a quiz.

Baltimore, Maryland or Baltimore, Ohio?:
Edited by Stan Tamudo

Sorry mate, the NI argument is awful - you are trying to compare dedicated, trained and well supported terrorists with, as is often the case with these killings, people with some sort of mental issue who can, quite legally, buy an assault rifle. The two are completely incomparable.

If you want to talk border control, how many illegal guns, drugs and people get over the wire from Mexico everyday ? But like the IRA it's mainly run by criminals who, like the thatcher-masked bank robbers, they will find a way to get a shooter to knock off a post office.

As I said, if you (and by you I mean America) want guns, keep em. Be prepared for more shootings. Im not sure the banning of high capacity mags will do much either - the guy who killed the firemen had a shotgun, rifle (both of which you can get - eventually - in the uk, and a revolver). It's an occupational hazard, like a drink driving car crash.

Why this thread is still going with such nastiness from both sides I don't know. Things won't change, and we aren't effected anyway.

I agree with you. This is not the only thread on this subject since Newtown happened. It is done, and can't be undone. we have thrashed it out ad nauseum. I will admit we have a serious gun problem but some of the posts have become ridiculous. Britain had a serious enough gun problem in the 19th Century, solved to some extent by making a gun murder immediately subject to the death penalty on conviction, and the strange but successful act of not arming the police. America's history is totally different with people moving west without police protection of any kind and unfriendly Indians on the way, and also a civil war of immense carnage. There has to be a change made but it will need to be by referendum, and I'm not sure that will work.

What portion of the 3.7 per 100 people are gangland shootings? Cant lose any sleep over those and it does mean less overcrowding in state and federal prisons which ae already overcrowded.

I'll keep my sadness and grieving for the percentage that is Columbine and Newtown

Pardon me, I thought it was a quiz.

I assumed the persons mentioning Baltimore meant one or the other. Many American cities have the same name (not just major ones) which can be confusing and why you almost always clarify which state.

I don't pretend to know much , but the common factors in these shootings seem to be guns , young isolated adult males , schools and prescription drugs . sheffwed1085 talks of "prozac-type" drugs , but what about those shooters who were on prescription ritalin ?? We're talking about methylphenidate here , or "speed" . Is it inconceivable that post-pubescent males with only their games console for company and no strong links with the rest of humanity might feel angry , isolated and increasingly bitter towards "society" ? Throw in a few violent computer games , a bit of speed and stand back .......... Probably far too simplistic ...:)