More shootings in USA

I think the problem I, and probably many others have, is just why an ordinary householder needs to own an automatic weapon.

Surely that goes far beyond what could be considered a necessary safety measure in a country with so many guns.

There are photos posted today of people who have been given seriously scary looking weapons as xmas presents. What do they intend to do with them. If it is just a matter of self protection, wouldn't a single shot gun be enough? Or is their aim so poor that they need to spray bullets in all directions?

They just cant get it poppins

---------- Post added 26-12-2012 at 19:13 ----------

I notice you clammed up on my comments about the N.I troubles.

I'll bet that even today if the IRA suddenly became active again they could arm themselves without very much trouble and I'll also bet more than a few old IRA members still have guns stashed away somewhere in their homes.

If you cant make gun control work in a piddling little province like N. Ireland why keep on attempting to "solve" the issue in this part of the world?

Since I know that not even the UK is exempt from bank robberies what kind of weapons are used in such robberies or is gun control so effective that robbers just pass notes to the tellers demanding the money and scaring them to death wearing Margaret Thatcher disguises?

Sorry mate, the NI argument is awful - you are trying to compare dedicated, trained and well supported terrorists with, as is often the case with these killings, people with some sort of mental issue who can, quite legally, buy an assault rifle. The two are completely incomparable.

If you want to talk border control, how many illegal guns, drugs and people get over the wire from Mexico everyday ? But like the IRA it's mainly run by criminals who, like the thatcher-masked bank robbers, they will find a way to get a shooter to knock off a post office.

As I said, if you (and by you I mean America) want guns, keep em. Be prepared for more shootings. Im not sure the banning of high capacity mags will do much either - the guy who killed the firemen had a shotgun, rifle (both of which you can get - eventually - in the uk, and a revolver). It's an occupational hazard, like a drink driving car crash.

Why this thread is still going with such nastiness from both sides I don't know. Things won't change, and we aren't effected anyway.

Clutching at straws with the whole Northern Ireland / IRA argument. You can have the strictest gun controls in the world but if the IRA want to get hold of a gun they will find ways to do so.

The IRA where a well funded and well organised terrorist group who where smuggling in guns from the U.S and Libya. Unless you can patrol every inch of the Irish coastline 24/7 365 then guns where going to through.

I think in the U.S that there are just that many guns in circulation that the only way most Americans feel safe in their own country and be able to defend themselves is to be armed with guns.

Edited by DYKWIA

I notice you clammed up on my comments about the N.I troubles.

I'll bet that even today if the IRA suddenly became active again they could arm themselves without very much trouble and I'll also bet more than a few old IRA members still have guns stashed away somewhere in their homes.

You do remember where a significant proportion of the funding and weaponry donated to the IRA came from don't you?

Perhaps if those suppliers didn't have such easy access to weapons any reformed IRA wouldn't find it so easy to restock?

Sorry mate, the NI argument is awful - you are trying to compare dedicated, trained and well supported terrorists with, as is often the case with these killings, people with some sort of mental issue who can, quite legally, buy an assault rifle. The two are completely incomparable.

If you want to talk border control, how many illegal guns, drugs and people get over the wire from Mexico everyday ? But like the IRA it's mainly run by criminals who, like the thatcher-masked bank robbers, they will find a way to get a shooter to knock off a post office.

As I said, if you (and by you I mean America) want guns, keep em. Be prepared for more shootings. Im not sure the banning of high capacity mags will do much either - the guy who killed the firemen had a shotgun, rifle (both of which you can get - eventually - in the uk, and a revolver). It's an occupational hazard, like a drink driving car crash.

Why this thread is still going with such nastiness from both sides I don't know. Things won't change, and we aren't effected anyway.

There is only one way to stop gun violence. Outlaw criminal intent and outlaw mental illness. Completely nonsensical of course but that's the reality in a nutshell.

The shortcomings of the judicial system can be blamed in some instances.

Spengler, the man who shot two firefighters and wounded two others after setting fire to his house in Webster, New York was convicted in 1980 for the brutal murder of his grandmother. Seventeen years later he was paroled. Why? What goes on in the minds of these liberal minded numpties? The man had some symptoms of a disturbed mind bordering on a mental disorder yet in all their wisdom they let him out into society. I dont know where he obtained his weapons from but with his criminal record he could never have purchased them legally in a gun store which only serves to prove my earlier contention that gun control is only as effective as stopping each and every source of guns acquired ilegally and there lies the real challenge in a country the size of the US and with borders north and south stretching almost two thousand miles

Just think about it. If he had been imprisoned for life without parole or sentenced to death and kept on death row those firemen would be alive and well today.

I dont know how the families of these firemen are dealing with this tragedy but if I was unfortunate enough to be a relative I would reserve my hate and loathing not so much for the guns that killed them but for a system that allowed such a person as Spengler to go free and wreak havoc on people who had no connection with him or had done him no harm.

The same could be said of Lanza's mother. The blame lies with her for allowing her troubled son to practice firing her weapons on a gun range and being very obviously lax and careless in making sure that he should never have been allowed anywhere near them in the first place

---------- Post added 26-12-2012 at 23:50 ----------

You do remember where a significant proportion of the funding and weaponry donated to the IRA came from don't you?Perhaps if those suppliers didn't have such easy access to weapons any reformed IRA wouldn't find it so easy to restock?

Yes I do. NORAID and the FBI should have put them out of business but that's beside the point.

Ireland is a small island and NI even smaller yet killings and bombing went on in a massive scale for years. I know that the British Army isnt the German SS or the Russian Army but perhaps too much of this went on because the British authorities put too much of a restraint on the military forces deployed to that province. Massive house to house searches with zero tolerance for any householder found with as much as a .22 pea shooter in his/her possession might have stopped much of it

Surveillance aircraft similar to AWACs could have been used to patrol off the Irish west coast working in conjunction with the Royal Navy to spot any suspicious craft heading towards the coast either side of the border and if failing to respond to a request for ID, registered ownership and place of origin then stopped and searched. If failing to stop then sunk after three warnings.

The German Navy in WW2 managed to patrol the French, Dutch and Norwegian coasts pretty well using E-boats.

Just a thought

Edited by Harleyman

Massive house to house searches with zero tolerance for any householder found with as much as a .22 pea shooter in his/her possession might have stopped much of it

Should someone even suggest applying the same above mentality you dismiss it as the the rantings of a facebook/youtube reader who has no concept of reality or how the US works, yet you suggesting it is somehow to be seen as divinity as long as your solution isn't applied to your own back yard upsetting the shrine of the 2nd merely because it exists. It was drafted by a few blokes who lived a million years ago. The problem here is some are still applying the same mentality as though time has stood still, you are one of those that will continue to teach and influence our young minds. Ironically for the future you are far more dangerous than the lunatics who go around slaughtering youth, and just as dangerous as the idiots who teach a kid how to put a vest on.

It's amazing how you squeal like a runt at the slightest suggestion from insiders and outsiders as though you were the offspring of Lincoln himself.. you're an old fart from Sheffield man. You defend the right to bare and own arms on a biblical scale yet your country of choice bully and slaughter its way into other countries attempting to disarm them (that doesn't always work does it) Maybe if you put as much effort, time and gazzilions of bucks into cleaning you're own **** the world might take you a little more seriously.

Your mentality is as guilty as those that pull the trigger. That isn't a half arsed attempt at a dig btw...it's who you and other old farts like you are..dull old men that relive their lives through the latest war movie or comic, screaming at the reflection in the mirror as though its the fault for your tired withering body.

Edited by ronthenekred

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/man-shot-in-both-legs-on-sheffield-street-1-5055538

A TEENAGER is in hospital after being shot in the legs on a Sheffield street - in what police believe could be linked to an earlier gun attack just over a fortnight ago.

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/local/sheffield-killer-weeps-over-shooting-cousin-1-5220339

A YOUNG man accused of shooting dead a teenager at a party wept in court as he said he never intended to harm anybody.

Abdi Omar, aged 25, killed Deeq Ali, 18, at a party at Spital Hill Plaza in Burngreave when he pulled a sawn-off shotgun from his trousers and fired.

As he took the stand at Sheffield Crown Court yesterday, Omar wiped away tears as he said he never intended to kill or hurt anybody.

Edited by Dingus

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/man-shot-in-both-legs-on-sheffield-street-1-5055538

A TEENAGER is in hospital after being shot in the legs on a Sheffield street - in what police believe could be linked to an earlier gun attack just over a fortnight ago.

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/local/sheffield-killer-weeps-over-shooting-cousin-1-5220339

A YOUNG man accused of shooting dead a teenager at a party wept in court as he said he never intended to harm anybody.

Abdi Omar, aged 25, killed Deeq Ali, 18, at a party at Spital Hill Plaza in Burngreave when he pulled a sawn-off shotgun from his trousers and fired.

As he took the stand at Sheffield Crown Court yesterday, Omar wiped away tears as he said he never intended to kill or hurt anybody.

They never intended to shoot anyone after they've been caught.

Edited by poppins

I don't think anyone is denying that gun crime doesn't happen in the UK dispite our gun laws.

Still over 100 people have died as a result of guns in the U.S since Sandy Hook.

The UK has its problems but I'm glad I live in a country where I don't feel like I need a gun in my home in order to protect myself.

So one incident with guns has caused a second?

And a kid, who gets told to leave a party, decides to "shoot the ceiling" and accidentally kills his cousin.

Both stories which the like of appear to be accepted as everyday events in the US, at least here they're seen as things which should never have been allowed to happen, rather than collateral damage and a price worth paying in order to be allowed to keep your own armoury.

I don't think anyone is denying that gun crime doesn't happen in the UK dispite our gun laws.

Still over 100 people have died as a result of guns in the U.S since Sandy Hook.

The UK has its problems but I'm glad I live in a country where I don't feel like I need a gun in my home in order to protect myself.

Yes but two shooting within a few weeks in a small place like Sheffield.

Spengler, the man who shot two firefighters and wounded two others after setting fire to his house in Webster, New York was convicted in 1980 for the brutal murder of his grandmother. Seventeen years later he was paroled. Why? What goes on in the minds of these liberal minded numpties?

The same could be said of Lanza's mother. The blame lies with her....

The German Navy in WW2 managed to patrol the French, Dutch and Norwegian coasts pretty well using E-boats.

So it's the liberals who are responsible for all the gun massacres, is it? Columbine was carried out by liberals, was it? Lanza was exercising his right under the 2nd Amendment to train with guns, a right you support. That must make you a liberal, I suppose. Most murders in the USA are not carried out by parolled nutters, but nutters exercising their right under the 2nd Amendment with full backing from the NRA.

Some late news coming in from 1945. The Allies have recaptured France, the Netherlands and Norway. Germany has lost the 2nd World War. So much for that theory.

---------- Post added 27-12-2012 at 16:46 ----------

Yes but two shooting within a few weeks in a small place like Sheffield.

The two stories are about three (I think) shootings in Sheffield about a year apart. I'd guess that in the last 15 months we've had about half a dozen or so shootings here, not all of which have been fatal. Some have been reprisals for other shootings in that number.

Now Sheffield is slightly smaller in terms of population than Baltimore where in 2011 there were 196 homicides, not including other non-fatal shootings.

If you try to compare gun crime in the USA and UK you're going to lose every time. If you can't see why then you need help.