Organising a funeral wake, help!

honeyb35

At the request of my husband, I'm trying to organise a wake for my brother in law who passed away suddenly at the beginning of the week. We've been offered a room in a club he used, but I need to sort catering.

The thing is, how are these things usually arranged? I know with weddings and parties, obviously invites are sent, but I have NO idea how many people will be attending the funeral.

Very difficult. We paid for catering at my nan's funeral, had a rough idea just from people saying "we'll be there". A lot did the funeral only, then the majority had a cuppa and left! We were left with lots & lots of uneaten food and I felt really bad to the person who had spent the time preparing it. So my answer is: pass.

I think the time of day may make a difference - my nan's funeral was 9.30 so we were at the wake by 10.30-45 (I think), so in hindsight too early for food. (Although those that stayed did eat something).

Considering what you said in the thread as well about the cost of the funeral. You really don't need to have the expense of the wake too...

Just go to the pub, have a couple of drinks afterwards? Same sentiment, less cost.

It's difficult. My dad died in October and we had a similar situation. We went to one of his favourite pubs and ordered a buffet for 50 but with an agreement that if more people turned up they bring more food out. In the end approx 70 people came back and everyone was fine.

Good luck.

Hi.Having done this recently my advice would be to try to get to know by word of mouth roughly,how many.Then cater for 2 thirds.Also take into account the family.If they are for cream tea/scones or if they like a drink think savoury buffet items.I found I had over catered as most folk wanted just a bite and not a feast.We had a savoury buffet plus cakes but as we were in a pub not many had the cake.Also tea and coffee was a winner.Hope this helps a little..

at the end of the day if you get it wrong and theres not enough people will not mind as they are there to pay thier respects and have a drink together in comfort not to stuff themselves so try not to worry too much. i can recall doing one many years ago and so many people came that no-one else could get in the place and although we had loads of food nowhere near enough not one moan was heard just lots of fond memories and annecdotes etc

good luck

Thanks all. I know it seems a bit silly worrying about a wake as well as the cost of a funeral, but I know people are travelling quite far and I want somewhere for people to gather for a bit afterwards, as a thank you for attending. A friend has offered to do some sandwiches, sausage rolls etc now which seems perfect, I don't want to do a lot, just basic stuff for people to pick at.