Jessops demolition megathread

I test that the Sewer Gas Destructor Lamp on Leavygreave Road, next to the original Jessop Hospital building will remain ...

... Forever 'cocking a snook' at the new Engineering Block.

An Edwardian wing was built later, the hospital now accommodating 151 beds. Between 1927 and 1972 the hospital had a 45 bed annexe at Norton Hall known as the Firth Auxiliary Hospital.[5] A further wing was added in the 1970s, increasing this number to the 217 present at closure in 2001.

[8]

You have added to my knowledge. I was born in Norton Hall, my birth certificate states: Jessops Hospital, Norton Annexe.

(It was a while ago, my mother always said that there was an air raid on, but I doubt it....)

I was always told that the 'central' maternity hospital was dispersed at the start of WW2, with units at Norton, Nether Edge, Chapeltown(?) etc. My mother went to Norton as she lived in Woodseats, etc.

I didn't know it opened in 1927.

You learn something every day on this site......

Glad to see work is progressing on the new engineering building, should be impressive once its completed and a great asset to Sheffield! Theres some extra visuals available on the site below

http://www.twelvearchitects.com/portfolio/item/the-university-of-sheffield/

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/faculty/engineering/estate/neb

Edited by MJbayley

I see that according to that second site it will include a 'book space'. Perhaps this will be what, in ancient times, used to be called a library.