Jessops demolition megathread

But I'd bet that this new building will be ripe for demolition in another 20/30 years tops.

If needs must what's the problem ?

Have you read any of the reports, or about the alternatives that the Uni itself was holding in reserve in the event they didn't get permission to overturn a legal binding listing.

Even the planning officers were against this travesty going ahead. If it had been any other organisation than the University of Sheffield in collusion with the Labour Group on SCC, they would never have succeeded and would then have been forced to jump through every preservation hoop that EH could think of during restoration.

The facade could have been incorporated into the new build, if the architects employed had even a tenth of the talents exhibited by the original architect of Jessop.

But it's all over now, you philistines have won. But I'd bet that this new building will be ripe for demolition in another 20/30 years tops.

You haven't answered my question, why did it cease being a hospital ?

I think the main problem here is that has others have said we cannot save every old building,and they are correct.The difference here is that this is/was a grade 2 listed building.This now leaves the floodgates open for other listed buildings to be demolished in sheffield on the basis of social and economic benefit.It will be very difficult to turn down requests to demolish listed buildings.I think other listed buildings that could be in danger could be castle house,old town hall/courthouse,old post office on fitzalan square and if the council get their wish to have a diversion loop for HS2 into the city centre the victoria hotel and wicker arches could be demolished.All the ones on here who do not care will be up in arms if a building they like is demolished especially if it was a sporting venue.It is not about the demolition of the single Jessops building it is the fact it was listed.I hate Park Hill flats but it is a listed building and even though i do not like it does not mean it should be demolished.The council made a point of saying they did not demolish listed buildings in their defence of saving them and spending public money on the flats but changed their mind in this one.Double standards.It is the same with the wind farms near penistone,as soon as one wind farm was allowed to be built there is now upwards of thirty plus all over the hillside as far as kirklees totally transforming the area that i loved to hill walk,because once you allow one to be built you cannot turn others down.Be afraid be very afraid.

You haven't answered my question, why did it cease being a hospital ?
Superfluous to the requirements of the NHS? I don't know and don't particularly care, I can't see that it's relevant. The Victorian Wing was successfully refurbished and is now the Music Department. Personally I always thought the Edwardian Wing was more attractive.

Do you know?

It was an unusable monstrosity, when will you people accept that ?

As for the other building you mention, flatten em, if it brings investment and jobs. No-one wants them anyway, they're just a lead weight round our necks.

Very well said and lucidly presented argument, ghostrider. Some people on here are very shortsighted. If it hadn't been that they are licensed premises, the Old Queens Head and Carbrook Hall would have been swept away in all the 'modernising' that the council indulged in in the 70s and beyond. Although I suppose many people here would argue that they weren't worth keeping anyway, and would sooner have had more bus station in the case of the OQH. :help:

It was an unusable monstrosity, when will you people accept that ?

As for the other building you mention, flatten em, if it brings investment and jobs. No-one wants them anyway, they're just a lead weight round our necks.

I find it quite strange that you care about the ancient sites in the Peak District but do not care about the history of the city you live in or do not care about buildings in sheffield.I thought you would be interested in preserving history.

Megalithic:I suspect if you are an archaeologist or interested in archaeology that you will be connected to the university in some way.

I find it quite strange that you care about the ancient sites in the Peak District but do not care about the history of the city you live in or do not care about buildings in sheffield.I thought you would be interested in preserving history.

It's not that i don't care, i do, but how can you defend saving a monstrous old building that would have been left to rot and become dangerous, when the site could add to the prosperity of our city ?

I'm just using common sense.

---------- Post added 31-07-2013 at 19:46 ----------

Megalithic:I suspect if you are an archaeologist or interested in archaeology that you will be connected to the university in some way.

Nope, in no way shape of form, and never have been nor intend to be.

It's not that i don't care, i do, but how can you defend saving a monstrous old building that would have been left to rot and become dangerous, when the site could add to the prosperity of our city ?

It wasn't going to be left to rot was it!

I'm now certain you're just on the wind-up, pathetic really.

---------- Post added 31-07-2013 at 19:46 ----------

Nope, in no way shape of form, and never have been nor intend to be.

It was not going to be left to rot it was going to be incorporated in to the new building as happens in lots of projects all over the country.The University had initially agreed to do this at first,but changed their mind to save some money.As i said earlier it is the fact that the council have allowed a listed building to be demolished that worrys me.

If you think being accused of "being on the wind-up" is an insult then you don't have any real conception of what an insult is.

Either way, is there any need for it ? All it does is show bitterness on your part.

If i can manage to answer in an adult way why can't you ?

---------- Post added 31-07-2013 at 19:59 ----------

It was not going to be left to rot it was going to be incorporated in to the new building as happens in lots of projects all over the country.The University had initially agreed to do this at first,but changed their mind to save some money.As i said earlier it is the fact that the council have allowed a listed building to be demolished that worrys me.

No it wasn't, as the uni would have never gone along with that plan, and no-one can show evidence they would have so it's a pointless point, if you will.

Anyway, why risk all that investment for a decrepit useless building that would have remained empty till it became past economic repair ?

I certainly wouldn't have wanted a penny of my money going to save it.