Jessops demolition megathread

On the site of the cooling towers, a new power station is being constructed, providing valuable engineering, manufacturing, construction, operational, maintenance jobs, much of which is going to local companies.

I know which I prefer.

I was unaware they'd started building yet, oh well nearly 5 years to get this far should be ready in 2235

It's been going up for nearly 2 year now and is set for completion by the end of 2013 and be fully functioning 2014 .

It's been going up for nearly 2 year now and is set for completion by the end of 2013 and be fully functioning 2014 .

Well then there you go, sorry but I don't get up that neck of the woods very often cheers Chop.

Well then there you go, sorry but I don't get up that neck of the woods very often cheers Chop.

No worries fella.

approved by the same planning department who say the soviet-style eyesore that is Parkhill can't be demolished...

English Heritage gives out Listed Building Status, not SCC. EH does know a lot about old buildings. The decision to knock down Jessop's was also approved by the Court Of Appeal.

I am just glad these muppets don't run York City Council because if they did, the Minster and walls would have been reduced to rubble decades ago.

Jessop's is hardly Sheffield's equivalent of York Minster but it is strange to see you praising a Labour Council in York.

No-one bothered to save Sheffield's world-famous Cooling Towers either.

World-famous? What, along with the Taj Mahal, Eiffel Tower and Sydney Opera House?

....are plans still afoot to demolish the row of shops fronting the Peace Gardens on Pinstone Street? ...failed with Don Valley.....extended parking charges.

What plans are these and what do parking charges have to do with this? As for Don Valley it was the council that built it and government cuts that will force it to close. I seem to remember your beloved UKIP saying it was going to mount a campaign to save it. That seems to have failed too.

No-one bothered to save Sheffield's world-famous Cooling Towers either.

They haven't pulled them down aswell,have they?

That's as may be, but they can be renovated, unfit for purpose now but with a little foresight they could do it. How do you think they went on with buildings after the war, not everyone was demolished and look at Salisbury's is it, on London Road.

They built a new store but kept the original arch from the Lacarno or what ever previous incarnation it was.

I agree, the University should make an effort to preserve our local heritage. Like, for instance, spending large amounts of money restoring the Edwardian wing of the hospital.

Re Jessops demise, there has been a petition running for quite awhile, where have you all been?

Too late now, the powers that be have decreed that they are right and the people of Sheffield do not deserve to be listend to because the Vice Cancellor and his croneys say so.

I wonder how much money went under the table in order to ensure this demolition went ahead? I think there needs to be an investigation.

approved by the same planning department who say the soviet-style eyesore that is Parkhill can't be demolished...

And that hideous building was on a design awards short-list last week. You have to wonder what these people are smoking... :gag:

You can bet none of them would ever consider LIVING somewhere like Parkhill, but they like looking at it.

Excellent news. :banana:

If you don't progress you stagnate.

The Luftwaffe, post 1960 modernisation, Sheffield City Council, Thatcher's industrial revolution and now the University. They have all played their part in Sheffield's lack of heritage. Jessops is simply the latest chapter but all more disappointing because it was Grade II listed and sets a dangerous precedent for any developer who wants to tickle our Planning Committee's tummy.

But we can always go and stare at some stone circles instead eh?