Jessops demolition megathread

I was nattering with some-one a short while ago who was being very vocal in their condemnation of the planned demolition. I was however slightly confused when they didn't know what parts were listed, couldn't tell me what the building looked like, admitted that they never looked at it when going paast and then I discovered seemed to think it included St. Georges church. If I were going to get into a strop over something I'd like to hope that I'd find out a few of the basic facts before sounding off

sorrry but that place holds a lot of history of people like been BORN there

People were educated in schools for five years that have since been knocked down, should they stay up just for the hell of it as well?

People were educated in schools for five years that have since been knocked down, should they stay up just for the hell of it as well?

no user name well thats original for starters was people born in school

no user name well thats original for starters was people born in school

What does that matter?

To reverse your argument, people have died in hospitals that have since been knocked down, should they stay up as well?

People have been married in churches that have since been knocked down, should they stay up as well?

People probably lost their viginity in hotels that have since been knocked down, should they stay up as well?

I could go on?

Why couldn't the university have used the existing building??

It was established it was unfit for purpose for the use they wanted to put it to, wasnt it?

Refurbishment costs, running costs, fit for purpose, etc etc?

---------- Post added 30-07-2013 at 15:09 ----------

If I were going to get into a strop over something I'd like to hope that I'd find out a few of the basic facts before sounding off

Why let the facts get in the way of a good ranting session :hihi::hihi:

What does that matter?

To reverse your argument, people have died in hospitals that have since been knocked down, should they stay up as well?

People have been married in churches that have since been knocked down, should they stay up as well?

People probably lost their viginity in hotels that have since been knocked down, should they stay up as well?

I could go on?

yeah maybe but far less than what was born been mrried is special but i think be born is a little bit more special .

If the LSE wanted to knock down St Pauls would London council let them?

A 1000 extra students in the city, expansion of one of the Sheffield's greatest assets (the university), £80 million worth of capital investment, tens of millions of pounds flowing into the local economy every year, more jobs, more prestige for the city...the list goes on.

The sooner that decaying, derelict, boarded up relic is replaced by the new University Engineering Building the better.

It is possible to be pro uni, and pro heritage. I'm certainly not anti-uni, quite the opposite.

The hospital where I was born has already been knocked down but frankly I didn't care one iota at the time.

The hospital where I was born has already been knocked down but frankly I didn't care one iota at the time.

Well there we are then. Dont see why this is a special case.