Jessops demolition megathread

I've signed and I gave a donation to the fighting fund. This is an important building for Sheffield's history, medical history, women's history and the record of public philanthropy by people who made money in the city. Especially Graves. Which is probably why the council want rid.

Weird how people can have such widely divergent ideas about the same things. Noticed it when the tinsley towers were earmarked to be demolished. It's a good job for megalithic that people didn't think the same about his prehistoric remains really. He'd have nowt to put in his signature :D

hear hear.horrible building and a eyesore,new building will look great,seen photoes of what it will look like.very modern

It looks like a Borg starship from Star Trek.

It will go ahead as planned, stop worrying about it cos there's nothing you can do anymore.

You've got to like it otherwise you will be assimilated, resistance is futile.

It's pathetic how mean spirited some people are, the Jessop building is a strong part of Sheffield history like Beauchief Abbey, Sheffield Castle, how can we pass on to our children the history of Sheffield without tangible evidence for all to see and learn of our past and the people who instigated them and bequethed them to the city. Sign the petition NOW!!

Do people honestly believe that signing petition after petition actually changes anything?

Its a waste of time- if they changed anything then we'd have Jeremy Clarkson as Prime Minister (to name one that got hundreds of thousands of signatures and made as little difference as another Jessops one)

Demolition of Jessops beautiful old Edwardian Wing is due to start despite it being listed - lost appeal. One last chance to prick the university's conscience. Please sign petition.

.http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/don-t-undermine-the-listed-buildings-system-save-grade-ii-listed-edwardian-jessop-hospital

Google "Specsavers" for your local branch.

Save Jessops is a classic Sheffield idea.Sort of - lets not have a Russell group University that attracts talent from around the world,lets have an ugly old building instead.

Google "Specsavers" for your local branch.

Save Jessops is a classic Sheffield idea.Sort of - lets not have a Russell group University that attracts talent from around the world,lets have an ugly old building instead.

It is quite possible to have a state of the art engineering dept WITHIN the old jessop building so I dont see why a building will effect attracting students. Do the old buildings in Oxford and Cambridge detract students from applying to go there????

It is quite possible to have a state of the art engineering dept WITHIN the old jessop building so I dont see why a building will effect attracting students. Do the old buildings in Oxford and Cambridge detract students from applying to go there????

I couldn't agree more!

I know I'm what would be called a 'stick-in-the-mud', but do people realise how many 'modern' constructions last as long as older buildings - Sheffield Town Hall 'egg-box' extension and the 'new' register office are two that I remember didn't last that long.

In many instances the old buildings at Oxbridge are just for show. A lot of departments are in modern facilities. The engineering dept at Oxford is pretty hideous.

I'm not sure why people are so in love with the Jessops? It's an old hospital which isn't required any more. Shoehorning the new engineering dept into the old building just isn't feasible or sensible. The uni did a good job of renovating the other part of the Jessops for the music dept, and have a track record of looking after lots of listed buildings.

The University has a track record of demolishing fine old buildings and replacing them with hideous concrete monstrosities, aided and abetted by SCC (or the overpaid Officials that actually run the City). Take a look at the old pictures of Western Bank and the surrounding area and tell me that what exists now is an improvement!

I am a lover of old buildings but the old Jessop Hospital building is not elegant and in very poor repair

I think it's doomed tbh.

Anyone any idea when it is set to be demolished ?.

It looks like a Borg starship from Star Trek.

You've got to like it otherwise you will be assimilated, resistance is futile.

:hihi::hihi: