Jessops demolition megathread

Yep, hopefully the 99.5% of the population who haven't signed the petition will show that local democracy is healthy, and the uni can knock it down :-)

Based on 2300 signatures on the petition I would think that its more than 99.5%

That wasn't the point I was making about local democracy. Jessops is a building that's worth saving and it can be saved without impeding the University's agreed need to have an improved facility for engineering.It seems that the new building has been designed with 'image' in mind and that the usual design, sustainabilty etc principles can go out of the window.That's wrong even with the argument about economic benefits as part of the equasion and one would hope that those who we enfranchise would recognise that.

---------- Post added 27-01-2013 at 19:12 ----------

Have they bulldozed the eyesore yet. ?

You really ought to go to Specsavers. If the building looks a little frayed around the edges then that's the University's fault.They have had it for 10 years after all.

Based on 2300 signatures on the petition I would think that its more than 99.5%

That wasn't the point I was making about local democracy. Jessops is a building that's worth saving and it can be saved without impeding the University's agreed need to have an improved facility for engineering.It seems that the new building has been designed with 'image' in mind and that the usual design, sustainabilty etc principles can go out of the window.That's wrong even with the argument about economic benefits as part of the equasion and one would hope that those who we enfranchise would recognise that.

In your opinion, an opinion that most Sheffielders don't agree with.

In your opinion, an opinion that most Sheffielders don't agree with.

Didn't know they'd been asked.

Didn't know they'd been asked.

Well i'm sure most would be aware of the plans, but don't give a hoot.

What do Sheffielders give a hoot about?

Not an old ugly outdated building obviously.

In your eyes.

Come up with something with a little more depth.

In your eyes.

Come up with something with a little more depth.

I don't need to, i hope they bulldoze it into oblivion. :hihi:

I'm so pleased for you.

Thanks, i'm sure i'll get my way. :thumbsup:

Very interesting update on this today. "The most powerful letter of opposition to Sheffield University's vandalism came from the council's Head of Planning" (from details revealed from a freedom of information request) http://www.jessophospital.org.uk/

Just wanted to bump this up the list as tomorrow seems to be an important day for the old building and I can't be there :(

So perhaps this posting will encourage others to attend the public planning meeting on Mon 25th @ 2pm @ the Town Hall.

I really hope there's a crowd. Good luck!