Jessops demolition megathread

Unless you wish another cheese grater in the city, I think people should sign in,

They will only complain when it's been built.

Knock it down i say, miserable tired old ugly building.

I suppose it's you who's in favor of the eye sores we have in Sheffield now, Park Hill flats, the cheese grater, the tired buildings in front of the cheese grater?

We have plenty of heritage, why destroy it?

I see the petition states;

" We are tired of Sheffield City Council needlessly bulldozing our heritage and urge you to intervene."

Can anybody name buildings bulldozed by the council that were "our heritage".

Tinsley towers, Sheffield had a massive steel industry ad what do we now have to show for it? Nothing.

Unless you wish another cheese grater in the city, I think people should sign in,

They will only complain when it's been built.

Nice to have an allie on this forum who wants to save sheffields heritage as well.I am slowly losing my belonging to sheffield even though i was born here.I feel happier when i go to places like huddersfield which always feels like real yorkshire.

Tinsley towers, Sheffield had a massive steel industry ad what do we now have to show for it? Nothing.

E-on owned and demolished the towers AFAIK. And they were part of an old power station - not the steel industry as such.

I much prefer the old buildings to the new ones (within reason, particularly Victorian and Edwardian) they feel so much more homely and comfortable than the metallic fortresses we have.

You are wasting your time with Longcol who does not appear to like any building in sheffield.Ive already upset Longcol and tbtc on the other thread.Im calling it a night now got to get up early for work.Good luck.

And yes, I stand corrected, but they stood there for quite some time and they were the first thing you saw when you came into the city ad the last thing as you left via the Tinsley viaduct.

I much prefer the old buildings to the new ones (within reason, particularly Victorian and Edwardian) they feel so much more homely and comfortable than the metallic fortresses we have.

I think every era throws up good and bad - just because buildings are old doesn't neccessarily mean good. Not a fan of much of the gloomy victorian gothic myself and tend to prefer stone to brick.