Jessops demolition megathread

It's part of Sheffield's traditional heritage to knock perfectly good stuff down and say you're going to replace it with something new. Sheffield once had some attractive classical buildings in the city centre.

Am trying to think of "classical" buildings in the city centre that we've lost. Name us a few.

Am trying to think of "classical" buildings in the city centre that we've lost. Name us a few.

The corn exchange demolished for park square roundabout.It was actually fire damaged but possibly could have been saved but its still a classical building that we have lost.

Edited by ghost rider

The corn exchange demolished for park square roundabout.It was actually fire damaged but possibly could have been saved but its still a classical building that we have lost.

Bad move that - linking the city centre to the M1.

Bad move that - linking the city centre to the M1.

You asked the question ive answered it.The original cole brothers building on what was coles corner is another.

Your earlier post does not make much sense as you are talking as though if the edwardian building is kept the university wont get its new facilities,it will just in a slightly different building which will not make the slightest bit of difference to the students learning their skills.

It'd cost eight million quid extra for a smaller facility. Even if the Uni doesn't lose an inch of space, that's a lot of money to waste on keeping an Edwardian frontage - are you saying that the Uni doesn't have anything better to spend its money on?

You are saying that there should be no jobs for the people who are of average education just the intelligent.The NEXT and IKEA could have been built to provide some jobs and the university would get its building to provide jobs in the engineering trade.I dont see the problem only that the wealthy university would have to spend more money and that somehow bothers you even though its not going to effect you.I dont see how that was an insult just an observation,

I'm saying that we should have a bit of ambition in this town, otherwise we'll just see a drain to London/ Leeds/ Manchester etc. Good luck trying to turn that into something that looks like class war :confused:

i would like to say what i think of you but i would not be allowed by the forum rules.

Charming :hihi:

You asked the question ive answered it.The original cole brothers building on what was coles corner is another.

I'd hardly describe either as "classical" or a great architectural loss though. Just old and past their sell by date - and one that was virtually derelict from memory. And in both cases we're going back a good 40-50 years.

It'd cost eight million quid extra for a smaller facility. Even if the Uni doesn't lose an inch of space, that's a lot of money to waste on keeping an Edwardian frontage - are you saying that the Uni doesn't have anything better to spend its money on?

Should have thought about that before buying a listed building eh?

(£8m is nonsense by the way)

I am going to leave this childish discussion now and on a parting note perhaps you can tell us which buildings in sheffield you think are classical because ive walked down the moor this morning to work and all i could see was depressing grey looking brutalist concrete rubbish but maybe you find this kind of architecture attractive and worth saving i dont know how your minds tick.Lets hope Eric Pickles sees sense and blocks the demolition.Fingers crossed.

I am going to leave this childish discussion now and on a parting note perhaps you can tell us which buildings in sheffield you think are classical because ive walked down the moor this morning to work and all i could see was depressing grey looking brutalist concrete rubbish but maybe you find this kind of architecture attractive and worth saving i dont know how your minds tick.Lets hope Eric Pickles sees sense and blocks the demolition.Fingers crossed.

Who is arguing for "brutalist concrete rubbish"? Every era produces some good and some rubbish buildings.

I think some people are in danger of falling into the trap of everything old being good and must be conserved at all costs

Cole Brothers was lost in the Blitz. The Corn Exchange -damaged by Fire in 1947 and demolished in 1961 has been described by a respected architectural historian as the city's 'greatest post war loss'.

---------- Post added 21-01-2013 at 22:28 ----------

Why talk about the facade of the Edwardian Jessops?

---------- Post added 22-01-2013 at 00:12 ----------

As I started this thread I ought to see it out.

I've just looked at the recent Save Jessops Hospital Facebook Poster Re

Dissension In The Town Hall

- From A Senior Planning Officer

- From A Conservation Officer [Who Will Shortly Depart For A More Fufilling And Less Frustrating Role At English Heritage -Like They Do]

- From The Conservation Advisory Group

- From The Sustainabilty Panel/Group

Bit of A Damming Indictment From Folk Who Normally 'Keep Calm And Carry On' I Would Have Thought.

Nice to see somebody from germany backing the campaign.They know what its like to lose your heritage same as we do in sheffield.