Jessops demolition megathread

The council officer said in his email to colleagues: “The proposals have serious implications and constitute poor design and should therefore be refused in accordance with the National Planning Policy Framework.

However, I understand the economic benefits are considered to outweigh such concerns.

Mmm, now where have I heard that before?

Regeneration of Park Hill?

interesting article in tonights Star about opposition within professional circles in town hall planning department/other experts. about the demolition of Jessops Edwardian wing. Over 2000 signatures on petition to Secretary of State.Guess which side the Star came on?

Let me guess - given the choice between a world class engineering facility and a not particularly attractive Edwardian building - what would most people choose?

Let me guess - given the choice between a world class engineering facility and a not particularly attractive Edwardian building - what would most people choose?

See how the old can be combined with the new

http://www.qut.edu.au/about/campuses-and-locations/gardens-point-precinct

There is never a good reason to demolish our heritage!

If its not attractive why was it listed?

You could actually have both.

See how the old can be combined with the new

http://www.qut.edu.au/about/campuses-and-locations/gardens-point-precinct

There is never a good reason to demolish our heritage!

Heritage? Both my kids were born in Jessops - it was an outdated eyesore then.

Not all old buildings lend themselves to conversion - and are usually exceedingly costly to convert.

The fact that only a couple of thousand people have signed to protect it shows the "esteem" Jessops is held in in the city.

The fact that only a couple of thousand people have signed to protect it shows the "esteem" Jessops is held in in the city.

Biggest outcry in respect of a conservation issue I recollect

Over 2000 signatures is exceedingly good for an on line petition

Biggest outcry in respect of a conservation issue I recollect

Biggest outcry where? Sheffield? Nationally? Worldwide?

And if ony a couple of thousand signatures then conservation isn't really ranking high on peoples priorities IMHO.

---------- Post added 20-01-2013 at 15:39 ----------

Really?

It's on a par with saving Deaf Studies at Bristol University -

http://www.savedeafstudies.org.uk/?p=84

And nowhere near say, saving A&E and Maternity Services at Lewisham Hospital;

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/lewisham-hospital/signatures

Are those two thousand people going to pay the additional eight million pounds that the University would have to stump up for a smaller facility if they are forced to retain the Jessops facade?

Are those two thousand people going to pay the additional eight million pounds that the University would have to stump up for a smaller facility if they are forced to retain the Jessops facade?

Never been any suggestion about saving the facade. My understanding is that the finance had been allocated and a use identified for the Edwardian section without needing its demolition.

And the issue of planning procedures?

---------- Post added 20-01-2013 at 16:13 ----------

Biggest outcry where? Sheffield? Nationally? Worldwide?

And if ony a couple of thousand signatures then conservation isn't really ranking high on peoples priorities IMHO.

---------- Post added 20-01-2013 at 15:39 ----------

Really?

It's on a par with saving Deaf Studies at Bristol University -

http://www.savedeafstudies.org.uk/?p=84

And nowhere near say, saving A&E and Maternity Services at Lewisham Hospital;

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/lewisham-hospital/signatures

In the scale of things an interesting comparison and a valid argument. If you care about some things then you stand up and be counted. Otherwise you don't exist.

---------- Post added 20-01-2013 at 16:17 ----------

Never been any suggestion about saving the facade. My understanding is that the finance had been allocated and a use identified for the Edwardian section without needing its demolition.

And the issue of planning procedures?

---------- Post added 20-01-2013 at 16:13 ----------

In the scale of things an interesting comparison and a valid argument. If you care about some things then you stand up and be counted. Otherwise you don't exist.

If they weren't all from Sheffield [and they aren't from what brief glances I've made] its still a big issue in 'town' comparatively speaking.

Heritage? Both my kids were born in Jessops - it was an outdated eyesore then.

Not all old buildings lend themselves to conversion - and are usually exceedingly costly to convert.

What is it that you dont like about old buildings.Have you not got the vision to see what it would look like when cleaned up.Just because they have 100 years of soot from sheffields industrial past does not mean they should be demolished,perhaps we should demolish the town hall,thats old and covered in soot as well.We own an old building at work and we had it cleaned up and it totally transformed it from looking down at heel to attractive again.English heritage must have thought it was worth listing,it all smells of backhanders going on between the council and the university.

8 million pounds is a drop in the ocean to Sheffield University. They are raking it in. They are an excellent facililty and should be encouraged. Sheffield has always welcomed and been a fantastic place for students, that's also why so many people choose Sheffieild University and never want to leave. Sheffield University should acknowledge this by protecting Sheffield's heritage.

Sadder than this, is the city's treasure - the Victorian museum on Ecclesall Road that I have been informed the university was responsible for and let go to ruin, that we have now completely lost, I believe.