Jessops demolition megathread

Why?

So it can stand rotting like the rest of Sheffields "historical buildings". Old buildings are not practical, and will not be used again, so will stand empty and rot to the point the are unstable and have to be knocked down, probably at the expense of the council.

Let someone buy it, pay to have it knocked down, and rebuild something that will be used for another 100 years.

if you read the site it will answer allll your questions. Not arguing. Night

Signed ! hard work sharing on FB though .

I'm not signing it because nobody has the foresight to see the buildings that we are happy to demolish today as future candidates for listing

if you read the site it will answer allll your questions. Not arguing. Night

I read it, still not convinced. It will cost 10% more for less space. No brainer if you ask me.

I read it, still not convinced. It will cost 10% more for less space. No brainer if you ask me.

According to the University (http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/faculty/engineering/estate/neb) the site is going to cost £81,000,000.

So to "save" Jessops is going to cost them over £8,000,000, and they'll get a smaller building too.

Is it really worth £8,000,000 to save a building that nobody has any real use for (and to inconvenience the University)?

We are in danger of ending up with lots of buildings that people have "saved" that we have no real use for (see also Park Hill, Castle House etc).

According to the University (http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/faculty/engineering/estate/neb) the site is going to cost £81,000,000.

So to "save" Jessops is going to cost them over £8,000,000, and they'll get a smaller building too.

Is it really worth £8,000,000 to save a building that nobody has any real use for (and to inconvenience the University)?

We are in danger of ending up with lots of buildings that people have "saved" that we have no real use for (see also Park Hill, Castle House etc).

My sentiments exactly!

I agree with many of the other posts on here. Get it demolished and get some more modern iconic buildings built. Nobody comes to Sheffield to admire our Edwardian past. There's plenty of other towns where you can go to see far better examples of that type of building. The University buildings recently built in that area are like a fresh of breath air to the city. Let them continue I say !

I agree with many of the other posts on here. Get it demolished and get some more modern iconic buildings built. Nobody comes to Sheffield to admire our Edwardian past. There's plenty of other towns where you can go to see far better examples of that type of building. The University buildings recently built in that area are like a fresh of breath air to the city. Let them continue I say !

You must be joking! I find those multi-coloured "buildings" around the Brookhill roundabout hideous, personally.

You must be joking! I find those multi-coloured "buildings" around the Brookhill roundabout hideous, personally.

And equally I think the building that this petition is trying to save is totally drab, grimmy, and uninspiring. Nothing unique to it , whereas its proposed replacement is the opposite in every way.

Why?

Let someone buy it, pay to have it knocked down, and rebuild something that will be used for another 100 years.

No modern built property EVER lasts for 100 years.

No modern built property EVER lasts for 100 years.

i dont know, some buildings from the 60s arent far off 100 years old now