Jessops demolition megathread

As your signature says your DD was born in 2009, I imagine she was born at the Jessop Wing, which has been open for more than 10 years. I imagine babies will continue to be born there for many years to come. The building being demolished is the old Jessop Hospital, just off the university roundabout.

Ah I was just wondering as I thought well they got rid of the maternity bit (where I was born at NGH) then if they got rid of the Jessop wing as well wondering where all these new arrivals would be born? She was born in 2008 :).

I don't know why people keep referring to ancient sites just because i have an interest in them, they are incomparable in this context, no-one is looking to build on them, though it happened plenty in the past, with circles lost within living memory.

'looking to build on them'... they don't bother because they wouldn't have a chance, and rightly so. If they had a chance they would. A block of flats over-looking Stone Henge? Gold.

Back to the question though, half a million visitors a year and untold £££££'s into the governments coffers, so pretty much the same as the demolished Jessops wing, eh.

But cities don't necessarily get thousands of visitors because of one single building, they go to places because of the collective. Look at York. (in fact I decided yesterday that I'm going to pop up there in the next few weeks, so some good has come of this thread for me :))

Without students, this city would be Rotherham.

Probably worse. But no one has suggested that. For someone who seems to be quite sharp in here, that crossed into reductio ad absurdum land.

'looking to build on them'... they don't bother because they wouldn't have a chance, and rightly so.

True, as people would physically block them just as they did at the nine Ladies.

If you really want to block something buy a tent and set up camp. Not sure people with leather elbow patches do that though. :D

Huddersfield, the Florence of Kirklees.

Is the tourist franchise still up for grabs?

King of the sarcasm I see,my side's are splitting.If you dislike Yorkshire so much why are you living here.I was pointing out that there is some outstanding architecture in Britain without having to go abroad.Be proud of your country as i presume you were born here.

What is monstrous about this??http://chriswatsonphotograp.deviantart.com/art/Old-Jessops-Hospital-Sheffield-349054070

I will tell you it is monstrous that is has been destroyed forever. Like some one else said i hope this does open up the floodgates and the first building to go should be FIRTH HALL lets see what the vice chancellor says about that!!!

I have to agree that the building in that photo is a beautiful building. Is that this building here?

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=s1&hl=en&ll=53.381159,-1.482124&spn=0.002477,0.006899&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=5.136609,14.128418&t=h&hnear=Sheffield+S1,+United+Kingdom&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.381052,-1.482123&panoid=PnBusJKcVv19RweSrRM5Bw&cbp=12,328.29,,0,-8.68

Is that bit actually getting demolished and is it part of the original Jessop's Hospital? It says "Jessop Building" on the University sign outside it - but that building looks as though it is still in use - part of the music faculty.

My view is that it is a massive shame that the old hospital is being demolished - the bit that I've seen getting pulled down now. However, it does look very dilapidated and I am sure that it would cost a huge amount of money to renovate to a standard required to incorporate into a new modern building. I am sure that the council thought long and hard before allowing it to be demolished - and I bet that one of the deciding factors was what would become of the building and land if it wasn't demolished - would it get renovated or would it simply be left to rot?

I'm also sure that, having seen the plans for the new building - the council probably thought (as I do) that the new building is just the thing that Sheffield needs to help drag it into the 21st century. Look at the fantastic modern buildings some of the other major cities have built. I visited Birmingham city centre last year for the first time in about 20 years - what a change - the new library looks fantastic (in my opinion).

In Sheffield, there are a few buildings that have recently been added that are putting Sheffield on the map from an architecture point of view. The Winter Gardens and The Sugar Cube are two that spring to mind. There are other buildings that have been renovated (mainly university ones) to look sleek and modern. For example, The (now) Students' Union and The Richard Roberts Building (it wouldn't hurt to wash the glass frontage of The Richard Roberts Building though).

The above is just my view. I am not a native Sheffielder - I arrived here about three years before the old Jessops closed. However, I do believe that some of the new buildings are a great addition to the city and I hope that this new one will be too.

The building in the pic is the Victorian Wing which has been refurbished and is now the Music Department I think. The Edwardian Wing, which I actually liked the architecture better, is the one which the listing has been waived and has been destroyed is the one under discussion.

I agree that a new building is cheaper and easier to build, and I have no problems with the Uni building a new building, but not that they should be allowed to destroy listed buildings to do that. I'd take a guess that not many other cities would destroy their valuable old listed buildings to build a new one.

Not even Birmingham :D

I don't even think that Sheffield needs dragging into the 21st century, as it happens. It got here at the same time as everyone else and before a lot of other places, which are only just catching up. Leeds for instance. ;)

just seen about the Jessops wing, such a shame.

Edited by Rebecca24
spelling mistake

It is a tragedy. SCC should hang their heads in shame.

The hospital was old and not fit for purpose .I have my child in that hospital and it was a lovely hospital when it closed the funding went with it ...........x

The Jessop Hospital for Women was opened in 1878 with funds from Thomas Jessop, a wealthy steelworks-owner. The architect was John Dodsley Webster.[3] It was built to replace the old Sheffield Hospital for Women at Figtree Lane,[4] which had only nine beds. The building cost £26,000 - a lot of money at the time - all paid for by Jessop. Initially it had fifty-seven beds, and was built in the classic Gothic

An Edwardian wing was built later, the hospital now accommodating 151 beds. Between 1927 and 1972 the hospital had a 45 bed annexe at Norton Hall known as the Firth Auxiliary Hospital.[5] A further wing was added in the 1970s, increasing this number to the 217 present at closure in 2001.

The main maternity hospital in Sheffield is now the Jessop Wing of the Royal Hallamshire Hospital.[6]

In 2007 the majority of the 1970s wing was demolished by the University of Sheffield as part of their Jessop West development.[7] The Victorian Wing of the original hospital was converted to house the Department of Music, who occupied it in 2009.[8]

Edited by sand_dollars