Jessops demolition megathread

Park Hill should have been demolished.

They look awful and by all accounts they're not selling particularly well despite all the publicity they've had.

Regards

Doom

Yes Exactly.

Sheffield are still in a recession as is the whole of the UK.

The UK is not in recession. The economy is growing. The fact that you have to tell lies to back up your arguments shows that your arguments are worthless.

Those claiming that Jessops can be used for something never say who is going to use it. Sheffield University wants to knock it down. No one else is interested in it. If left it'll just carry on rotting. The same is true of DVS. People say they know it can be saved and used but never say who's going to do this.

Personally I'd have preferred Jessops to be saved but as there is no one to save it then it will have to go.

The UK is not in recession. The economy is growing. The fact that you have to tell lies to back up your arguments shows that your arguments are worthless.

Those claiming that Jessops can be used for something never say who is going to use it. Sheffield University wants to knock it down. No one else is interested in it. If left it'll just carry on rotting. The same is true of DVS. People say they know it can be saved and used but never say who's going to do this.

Personally I'd have preferred Jessops to be saved but as there is no one to save it then it will have to go.

Well excuse me Mr Aggressive!!!! Dont talk to me like that for starters! :rant:

Secondly im not a liar. We are still at the bottom climbing out of the recession! It takes time! We will grow back but Rome wasnt built in a day as they say! Although jessops is virtually being knocked down in one. :rolleyes:

English Heritage gives out Listed Building Status, not SCC. EH does know a lot about old buildings. The decision to knock down Jessop's was also approved by the Court Of Appeal

Ok, but the listed status of jessops eventually counted for SFA, whereas we're stuck with parkhill welcoming anyone arriving by train to the 1960s grimness.

If the university needs somewhere to put their engineers (and I'm not disputing that) then we could have killed two birds with one stone and ripped parkhill down to make room. I bet the 'save parkhill' thread would have been less than a page!

Basically, the two decisions taken together mean that SOMEONE in power has decided parkhill has more historical and architectural merit than jessops, and can therefore be safely classified as a tasteless moron

I live near the old Heeley School just off Myrtle Road. Was looking through the council site as I saw it was under offer. it's Grade II listed too, but I can't see anyone being able to do anything with it other than bulldoze it.

Will be interested to see what the Planners do there..

do you mean this one? http://annsgrovecommunityhub.wordpress.com/

They were pouring concrete ages ago - I was surprised at the hiatus as they seemed to have stopped for a while. There doesnt seem much above foundation level at the moment but they were definitly doing lots of stuff there.

I would go and have another look if I were you, all the buildings are virtually complete.

sorrry but that place holds a lot of history of people like been BORN there

Indeed it does. It holds both good and awful memories for many Sheffielders but sentimentality is no reason to keep it, the reason to keep it is it's historical/architectural value, which I think is enough.

Why are you apologising? Did you think my post was sarcastic? If it was, I'd have put this on the end :rolleyes:

Sheffield should not prostitute itself in order to cater to posh students. We have a proud heritage to uphold.

Without students, this city would be Rotherham.

My DD was born there :). Where will the babies be born now? :confused:.

As your signature says your DD was born in 2009, I imagine she was born at the Jessop Wing, which has been open for more than 10 years. I imagine babies will continue to be born there for many years to come. The building being demolished is the old Jessop Hospital, just off the university roundabout.

Sheffield should not prostitute itself in order to cater to posh students. We have a proud heritage to uphold.

One such heritage is our University.

The students, whether local, from elsewhere in the UK or from overseas, and whether posh or not, all add to the prosperity and vibrancy of Sheffield, while they are here. They also take away memories (hopefully good ones) of Sheffield which will help to improve Sheffield's status in the world, and therefore provide future business opportunities.

Some non-local students decide to stay here after graduation, some starting their own businesses. This is all good for Sheffield.

IMO, the two Universities have been one of the few good news stories about Sheffield in recent years.

It's Jessops that was the monstrosity, the new building can't be any worse, and it will function much better than a retro fitted shell.

I think it's 80m the uni are investing in this, what money would the relic have brought in ?

My guess is zero.

The heating bills alone would be phenomenal.

One such heritage is our University.

The students, whether local, from elsewhere in the UK or from overseas, and whether posh or not, all add to the prosperity and vibrancy of Sheffield, while they are here. They also take away memories (hopefully good ones) of Sheffield which will help to improve Sheffield's status in the world, and therefore provide future business opportunities.

Some non-local students decide to stay here after graduation, some starting their own businesses. This is all good for Sheffield.

IMO, the two Universities have been one of the few good news stories about Sheffield in recent years.

Completely agree ES!

Without the two Universities Sheffield city centre would probably have tumbleweed blowing through it.

Regards

Doom