Jessops demolition megathread

It's a shame, I was born there in 1974

Plenty of empty space in and around the city. I can't understand why a beautiful old building like that needs to be demolished. I'm all for new builds and modernisation, but it doesn't need to be at the expense of buildings such as that one.

Sheffield should not prostitute itself in order to cater to posh students. We have a proud heritage to uphold.

Oh dear.....:loopy:

here's a view from a student copied from elsewhere:

Isn't the bit being demolished the run down bit that nobody cared for when it was still around? If people genuinely liked it they wouldn't allow it to run down to that state.

I thought the nice bit that's the Music department is staying, but that doesn't make the news....

We spend too much time looking where we have been that were we are going.

So, do people want the abandoned derelict part of building nobody gave a f*** about until recently, or a building that can be used to train the future engineers that will go on to move this country forwards and improve the lifes of others?

I am rather amused at how people have come out of the woodwork and start warbling on about Sheffields proud heritage. It was a scruffy, unloved and unkempt building that wasn't a shining bespoke eye catching historical masterpiece. How come none ofthe people now squawking started shouting as soon as it was boarded up and became derelict..

I've just been looking at English heritage and how the listing system works and so wondered if anyone could tell me what bits, parts of the building were listed and how a building goes from listed to either not listed or available for demolition.

Now all they have to do is get rid of that horrible roundabout and the huge traffic congestion in that area and it'll be a lot better looking

But we can always go and stare at some stone circles instead eh?

What have stone circles got to do with it ? :huh:

My DD was born there :). Where will the babies be born now? :confused:.

Two years ago the Director of Estates at UoS told me he thought he'd never get away with this, but was going to throw in an application on the off chance. Glad the city planners do due diligence - not.

The uni reckons this pre-fab new build will be 10% bigger/more efficient than renovating the historic building would have been. That's far from a convincing case for such architectural vandalism.

Sheffield - proud to be ugly...

I was unaware they'd started building yet, oh well nearly 5 years to get this far should be ready in 2235

They were pouring concrete ages ago - I was surprised at the hiatus as they seemed to have stopped for a while. There doesnt seem much above foundation level at the moment but they were definitly doing lots of stuff there.

Beautiful building like that. Yet they kept park hill flats. Absolutely bloody stupid!

I live near the old Heeley School just off Myrtle Road. Was looking through the council site as I saw it was under offer. it's Grade II listed too, but I can't see anyone being able to do anything with it other than bulldoze it.

Will be interested to see what the Planners do there..