Jessops demolition megathread

<snip>, and they're hardly located on prime "real estate" if we're honest, unlike Jessops.

There are plenty on 1960s crap buildings to remove first. Ones that were thrown up after the war.

People often accuse Sheffield of lagging behind cities such as L**ds and Manchester, but when big investors come calling, investors that have a huge stake in our future financial success as a city we bemoan it and try and stop the progress and investment we crave, but you can't have it both ways !

It's not always that black and white. Ikea aren't exactly wanting to demolish our equivalent of the Hanging gardens of Babylon. Of course we want investment and progress, but keeping our old buildings (or frontage) isn't being unreasonable if they want this prime land.

There are plenty on 1960s crap buildings to remove first. Ones that were thrown up after the war.

Yeah, but who want to develop a location in the back streets of the Wicker ?

It's not always that black and white. Ikea aren't exactly wanting to demolish our equivalent of the Hanging gardens of Babylon. Of course we want investment and progress, but keeping our old buildings (or frontage) isn't being unreasonable if they want this prime land.

I agree again, blame the council for their short-sightedness, trying to dictate to businesses we need, on their own terms, with no movement/negotiations on their part.

You can't offer to bring in hundreds of millions of investment/spending and be 100% dictated to, it doesn't work that way. ask successful/ambitious cities.

Scc constantly shoot themselves in the foot, and we foot the bill.

Good news for Meadowhall and other out of town shopping centres in our region though.

Yeah, but who want to develop a location in the back streets of the Wicker ?

Well that guy the other night clearly wanted to live in those new flats there :D:hihi:

I agree again, blame the council for their short-sightedness, trying to dictate to businesses we need, on their own terms, with no movement/negotiations on their part.

You can't offer to bring in hundreds of millions of investment/spending and be 100% dictated to, it doesn't work that way. ask successful/ambitious cities.

Scc constantly shoot themselves in the foot, and we foot the bill.

Good news for Meadowhall and other out of town shopping centres in our region though.

Well, we know what it boils down to. Though I'll not say the words on an open forum where I could be sued for saying it :D

Well that guy the other night clearly wanted to live in those new flats there :D:hihi:

Well, we know what it boils down to. Though I'll not say the words on an open forum where I could be sued for saying it :D

Corruption and self serving pocket lining decisions you mean ?

That's an example from a similar situation in South Africa btw, not a reference to our great leaders.

Edited by megalithic
Typo

Yes the decisions are tough, but we have to move on don't we ? We cannot survive on our heritage like York can for instance, we aren't geared to do that.

We aren't geared to do that because we keep bulldozing our heritage. The Uni are destroying a Grade 2 listed building and being allowed to replace it with something completely out of character with the rest of the area.

We aren't geared to do that because we keep bulldozing our heritage. The Uni are destroying a Grade 2 listed building and being allowed to replace it with something completely out of character with the rest of the area.

the rest of the area is composed of:

- St Georges (restored and looked after by the uni)

- Jessop Building (restored and looked after by the uni)

- Jessop West, and several other modern buildings (developed and looked after by the uni, including a couple that have been nominated or won awards)

- The hideous maisonettes that start at Brook Hill and run down parallel to Netherthorpe Road.

I'm not sure how the plan is completely out of character with the rest of the area? It's a mixture of university buildings, other modern offices and low quality housing.

The University is a responsible organisation when it comes to heritage and is taking steps to add to it.

Around the Jessops there are other modern buildings: Jessop West, the Information Commons, the Music school, the ICOSS building, the Innovation Centre, the Bio Incubator.... I could go on and on.

People might not like these modern buildings, but they serve an important function and in my opinion look a lot better than the hideous building site that has been there for years (between Leavygreave road and Broad lane) or the numerous dreadful buildings not in the University's portfolio in that area.

Examples of the University preserving heritage can be found in the multi-million pound restoration of the Arts Tower/Western Bank Library, the extension currently being built to the Mappin building, and ironically the restoration of part of the Jessops hospital.

The University is doing a great job in a very tough and competitive international student market - they are succeeding. I appreciate that there is a lot of emotional investment from the citizens of Sheffield in the Jessops building, to me the most important part of it has already been preserved on Leavygreave road. I also appreciate that the new design is... hard to love immediately? but in the context of the buildings surrounding it, it is clear that the Uni is creating a core of buildings that show forward thinking and investment at a large scale - the city will benefit from this.

The University is a responsible organisation when it comes to heritage and is taking steps to add to it.

(snip all the big-up for the uni)

it is clear that the Uni is creating a core of buildings that show forward thinking and investment at a large scale - the city will benefit from this.

Hard to place bets on what happens in the future as a lot of us aren't likely to be around to say I-told-you-so, but if any of those buildings that the University has had designed and erected around there are still standing in 50 years, I'd be surprised. Maybe its today's throwaway society, throwing up dispensible buildings? I hope the University never come to regret riding roughshod over the wishes of Sheffield citizens.

I hope the University never come to regret riding roughshod over the wishes of Sheffield citizens.

A few Sheffield citizens, a tiny minority. :roll:

It's a shame we're losing one of the few historic structures left in Sheffield. Why did SCC suddenly change their stance during the planning process?

Perhaps we will be lucky and get another architectural gem like the Hick's building!

A few Sheffield citizens, a tiny minority. :roll:

Agreed - wasn't there 4,934 signatures on the original petition. You can get Grade II listed on nearly anything over a hundred years old - there's 1,200 Grade II listed buildings in the city - yet surprisingly people don't flock to Sheffield (and most other cities with an industrial heritage) for the architecture.